Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog bite story---O.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbettprime View Post
    I would guess you are not a dog person. Most dog people can tell friendly/curious behavior from aggressive behavior.
    You must not be one either or know little of animal behavior.

I am and have been involved in dog rescue for quite a few years. Temperament and many other factors are observed before an animal is deemed adoptable. All this while the dog or dogs were being fostered by me in my house. The Ahole truck driver acted without a though and ended the animal's life.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    What's really sad are the many documented and filmed incidents where a harmless and friendly dog has been shot and killed by police, as well as cases where they have barged into the wrong house and the dog was properly defending its property.
    Such an incident recently occurred in Texas, trigger happy cop who couldn't shoot straight, killed the dog's owner instead.

"another similar looking dog"!!!!

Yes, Gordon really should have waited until he was bitten again before making such a hasty judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Gordon never even blinked. He brought that iron bar down on the dogs head and killed it ...........
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    "another similar looking dog"!!!!

Yes, Gordon really should have waited until he was bitten again before making such a hasty judgment.
    Not that much variation in Rhodesian Ridgebacks, light brown, sometimes white feet or chest.
    Yes, totally justified in making a knee-jerk decision.
    Last edited by reggie_obe; 08-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post

I am and have been involved in dog rescue for quite a few years. Temperament and many other factors are observed before an animal is deemed adoptable. All this while the dog or dogs were being fostered by me in my house. The Ahole truck driver acted without a though and ended the animal's life.
    I beg to differ, I'm very cautious if the dog acts wary, reticent, or anything but tailwagging friendly. To date, I haven't been bitten by a dog. Cats are a different story. That A--- truck driver was operating on the philosophy of "Once bitten, twice shy". Which makes him a smart truckdriver, NOT a A----!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post

Except there was no reason for the driver to believe the dog was going to do anything other than bite him again.

The driver did the right thing. He learned from the first experience and phoned ahead of time. The owner agreed to tie up the dog (or somehow prevent the dog from interacting with the driver) and failed to live up to that agreement when the driver showed up.

Now, there could be other circumstances not mentioned that would change it, such as the drive already being there when phoning, and the guy didn't have a chance to tie the dog up or showing up a lot later than he says he would, but just from what was stated, that sounds like an entirely reasonable reaction.

People in this area that may have to interact with dogs, i.e. post office delivery people etc, carry bear spray or dog pepper spray. In the old days it used to be vinegar mix.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Boomer--When my kids were small, I got them a puppy of no visible breed at the pound. It was the dearest, best natured dog we ever had, and it turned out to be a pit bull. We had her for 14 years, and she gave the lie to every horrible thing we ever heard about pit bulls. She grew into the most vicious looking dog you have ever seen---it was kinda like having your own personal pet dragon. Our boys would lead her down street on her chain and people would literally jump off the sidewalks when thy seen the boys coming with the dog. She did the same levitating thing as yours did. She was a fairly short dog, and sometimes when we drove away we left her in the garage. The garage window was about six foot off the floor, but when you drove out of the yard, Coco would be looking out that window at you.
    Such a cool story thanks Bri, I remember when i re-did the front porch and all the neighborhood kids were coming by asking questions about stucco and stuff and they got to know the "pig" or Maggie I should say,,, then for many months after id get a knock on the front door and here's 4 little kids asking if Mag could come out and play, Id have to yell cuz she was getting old then "Maaaaaaaaaaaaagggg" and slight delay and out she goes into about 8 arms and hands all over her, never a care in the world on my part,,, just licking them all with her foul breath but the kids loved it lol

the fact is though is when a pit goes bad they make the news,,, so yeah it's extra critical for an owner to know their dog and know it well - be it any kind of powerful pooch, this is where the ball gets dropped, and there's no going back after someone gets hurt...

related story, about 2 years ago my brother comes back from the pound with what they told him was a border collie puppy lol he brings it by the house for me to meet and i see it and go "OMG they sold you a pit" lol sure nuff he's full grown now and about 85lbs of whoop arss, my bro lives out in the country and was running him and his other dog, out pops a skunk, the other dog has already been through that routine so seen it and then backed off, the pit chases the skunk and catches a direct blast right to the face, stalled him out on the spot, but then my brother said he seen a mental change in the dog kinda like "no way you live" again charges the skunk (while coughing and choking up green goop) and catches another point blank squirt right in the face, pushes through the pain an inability to see and clamps down on said skunk - bones snapping - and then you see why these dogs are so damn lethal when they want to be - the wide leg stance and the thick neck muscles --- my bro said all he heard after that was BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAPBAPAPAPAPAPAPAPAP, the sound of the skunks body being slapped repetitively over and over again from one shoulder to the next, all in milliseconds... total disintegration just in the same original bite it never let go until parts starting flying everywhere.... bad ass dogs that all need to be evaluated by their owners and taken seriously for the damage they can inflict --- but like my and Brian's experience can be the biggest sweethearts of the animal world too,,, don't judge a book by it's cover...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Boomer--We'd keep Coco tied all the time, because she was a runner. If she got off her chain, we'd get phonecalls from other townships saying "Come and get your damned dog--Shouldn't be letting those killer dogs run loose ya know!!!" We never worried much about what Coco might do to other people, because she was such a big suck. We did worry about someone shooting her. Funniest thing--One night wife and kids had gone to bed, I was up watching late night television, and Coco I assumed was asleep in her dog house with the chain on. A knock came on the backdoor, and there stood a very bedraggled young mother and two teenage daughters, soaking wet, with Coco on a rope leash. They had been having an "After dark skinny dip" in their pool when suddenly this big black thing comes sailing over the six foot privacy fence and lands in the pool and starts swimming around snorting and snuffeling and wanting to play. It paints a vivid picture, doesn't it. They got a light on, then recognized the dog (she was famous/infamous in the village we lived in) and had the presence of mind to get a rope on her and bring her home..
    Brian Rupnow

Wow that story made me laugh, sounds like a great dog, they add so much fun I cannot imagine life without them, it would be very dull i'll tell you that much...