Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog bite story---O.T.

Default Dog bite story---O.T.

Dog Bite Story
    Back in one of my previous lives, about 40 years ago, I built a house on the town line road east of Stirling, Ontario.
    There was an old, ran down farm across the road that was vacant. Not long after I had built my house, an old hippy bought the farm and moved into the house. He was a pleasant enough fellow, and was no bother to me. Not long after he moved into the house he got a dog. Biggest damned dog I ever seen, it was an Irish Wolfhound.
    I had two little kids, and was somewhat concerned, but the hippy said “Don’t worry about the dog—I have trained it to never leave my property.” And he was right. The dog never crossed the road and eat either of my kids, although I was a bit worried about that.
    Then after about three months, he got another dog.---A Rhodesian Ridgeback. It too was a big dog, and it was meaner than Hell, but it never crossed the road either.
    Gordon Clarke owned one of the farms on the road, and also had a job driving truck for Beaver Lumber.
    The hippy was renovating a shed out behind the main house, and placed an order for some roof trusses with Beaver Lumber. Gordon had them loaded on the truck and drove them out to the hippy house.
    While he was unloading the truck, the Rhodesian Ridgeback came running out and gave Gordon a terrible bite on the leg. Gordon got the hippy to tie the dog up, and finished unloading the trusses. He had to go to the hospital for antibiotic shots and stitches.
    Two weeks after that, the hippy ordered some more lumber from Beaver lumber. Gordon Clark called him, and said he wasn’t delivering anything unless that dog was tied.
    Hippy said he had the dog chained up, so Gordon brought out the load of lumber, but this time the lumber was strapped onto the flat-bed truck, and Gordon had to get an iron bar out of the cab to slack off the tie down winches.
    He got the first strap slackened off, and was heading up toward the front of the truck, when around the front came the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    Gordon never even blinked. He brought that iron bar down on the dogs head and killed it right there in the driveway.—Whack!!!”
    Much sqealing and lawyering went on after that, but nothing came of it.
    Everybody on the Town line road kind of thought Gordon was a hero after that. Far as I know, the hippy still lives there.
    Brian--2019
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 08-13-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Brian Rupnow

Does not sound like a typical Hippy - sounds like an inconsiderate dumbass that got his dog killed and also created a terrible situation for the delivery man TWICE!

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are some badarss pooches,,, I heard a story of a guy having one in the back of a pickup at a convenience store, and another pickup shows up with two Dobies in the back - the Dobies went into full blown attack mode and the RR killed them both like it was just another day in the park...

This isn't a serious problem but it is annoying. I'm currently living in a house with a fenced in back yard. All the neighbor yards are also wood fenced about 6 - 1/2 feet so you can't see adjacent yards. I mow the back lawn as required and every time the yard opposite in back has a Doberman that runs back and forth barking up a storm. He can't get out, so far as I can see, and I've no proof he's vicious or anything, but it's just one of those annoying things. I've got hearing protection from the mower but added decibels don't really help.

So yesterday I'm mowing again and the yard behind is mercifully quiet. Just me and the already too loud mower. About half way done I realize that the damn dog is on the other side of the fence doing his run up and down and barking for all he's worth. Which means that the the dog was indoors, but when I started mowing they let it out to run over and give me he11. Is that a great neighbor to have or what? I'm casually wondering if a lawn sprinkler that maybe just goes over the fence a bit might cool him off these hot days when he's running up and down.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Nice - don't ya just luv people and the way they bring up their dogs...

dog's most likely not a threat or it would have got you already - my dogs smaller than a dobie but can go over my 6ft fence if it want's and that's the smooth no-rung side, only time it's ever happened was when she was after a squirrel that was heckling her half the day...

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    This isn't a serious problem but it is annoying. I'm currently living in a house with a fenced in back yard. All the neighbor yards are also wood fenced about 6 - 1/2 feet so you can't see adjacent yards. I mow the back lawn as required and every time the yard opposite in back has a Doberman that runs back and forth barking up a storm. He can't get out, so far as I can see, and I've no proof he's vicious or anything, but it's just one of those annoying things. I've got hearing protection from the mower but added decibels don't really help.

So yesterday I'm mowing again and the yard behind is mercifully quiet. Just me and the already too loud mower. About half way done I realize that the damn dog is on the other side of the fence doing his run up and down and barking for all he's worth. Which means that the the dog was indoors, but when I started mowing they let it out to run over and give me he11. Is that a great neighbor to have or what? I'm casually wondering if a lawn sprinkler that maybe just goes over the fence a bit might cool him off these hot days when he's running up and down.
    Maybe their dog heard you mowing while it was inside and wouldn't shut up so they kicked it outside.

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, inherited from my daughter, who'd adopted them after the original owner died. They were sisters, but of different litters. Both were very docile, The younger, smaller sister terrorized the squirrels in the yard and sometimes could almost catch them, but the older one (about 6 or 7) was too lazy to bother with such nonsense ...her only interest was food.

I had one Rhodesian Ridgeback that would, without running, hop back and forth a 3 feet fence just for fun. Looked like he had springs on his legs.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

He shoulda been armed the 2nd time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    I had one Rhodesian Ridgeback that would, without running, hop back and forth a 3 feet fence just for fun. Looked like he had springs on his legs.
    I still kick myself for never getting a video of this - you think it's going to go on forever I guess and then it's too late,,,

My old girl Maggie (pit mix) would stand sideways at the 6' tall privacy fence and start bouncing on all fours, it was the strangest thing you ever did see and you would wonder just WTF she was doing, but like a telsa coil each perfectly timed bounce would get her higher, all 4 stubby legs going off at the same time, me and my girlfriend would be in the house and say to each other "OMG she's at it again" because the windows would start to rattle and the house shake, and yet her favorite place to pull this stunt was a good 30' away - no lie,,,

it seemed to take her well over a minute but then you would look out the window and see what the ultimate goal was, here's this dog that's really struggling to be called "medium height" and all the sudden she's getting so high that the top of her back is directly in line with the very top of the 6' fence and now her head is high enough to see over to the other side as each time she would rotate her head right at the apex and take a quick glance... it was a sight to behold and would just make me shake my head in disbelief - I was also seriously worried about her bones snapping it was such incredible force... but also what timing - to fire off all those guns at perfectly the same time in such a short stroke and then propel her entire hulk to that height and yet remain level in doing so...

like I say I wish I took just one vid as you guys would not believe it... boy I miss that pooch, what an incredible spirit and also friendly to everyone esp. kids she just loved the neighborhood children, she had a few confrontations with other dogs that were aggressive towards her and could have leveled them but instead took the abuse because she just hated to fight unless she absolutely had too...

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    He shoulda been armed the 2nd time.
    ehhh - sounds like he was...