Thread: 20 ton shop press paid itself

Default 20 ton shop press paid itself

Local garage wanted $500 to replace the front driver side wheel bearing. I finally got around to it. $168 for the new hub assembly. Unlike the monkeys on YouTube using heavy hammers to smash out the old hub assembly from the knuckle, I effortlessly pushed it out with the press. One person on YouTube even had a shop press behind him while he was hammering on the knuckle... The more I see, the less I trust others work.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Local garage wanted $500 to replace the front driver side wheel bearing. I finally got around to it. $168 for the new hub assembly. Unlike the monkeys on YouTube using heavy hammers to smash out the old hub assembly from the knuckle, I effortlessly pushed it out with the press. One person on YouTube even had a shop press behind him while he was hammering on the knuckle... The more I see, the less I trust others work.

Yup, they always do it the hard way... I just jam a chunk of 2x4 behind the bearing, start the truck and turn the steering wheel... The 2x4 jams between the bearing and the frame while the hydraulics from the steering does the work of popping the bearing out. Congrats on the save!

Nickel, that is brilliant..

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    ................. The more I see, the less I trust others work.

Yep, getting ready to do my own valve clearance check on my motorcycle because I figure there is about a 5% chance the mechanic will actually do all the work to check them. "Yes sir, we checked them and all are in spec. You are all set". Yeah, right.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Nickel, that is brilliant..
    Not smart, just broke and desperate. $$$$$

We have a very cheap 8 ton press at the museum, it doesn't get used much, but it's a godsend at times. Chris replaced both the front wheel bearings for his Volkswagen Passat and some of the other suspension bushes. Today, I wanted to bore out the four speed pulley on the mill we are rebuilding. The new motor has a bigger shaft, but the smallest pulley was too small to risk boring right through, so I chucked up a length of steel, turned it to a press fit in the small end of the pulley as a mandrel. This was because there was little to hold on to. I knew that the steel bar extended beyond the chuck backplate, so I left the chuck done up and unscrewed it off the spindle and pressed the pulley on using the press. I then screwed the lot back on the lathe and it was running within 0.005" tir.