Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxford headstock spindle bearings?? Where to find?

Default Boxford headstock spindle bearings?? Where to find?

BOXFORD VSL500 I think.

Bearings in headstock are shot, where can I find new bearings. Can't seem to have any luck at all searching with google etc.

You could try the manufacturers: https://www.boxford.co.uk/support

Or maybe this guy has something: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOXFORD-LAT...0AAOSwLx1awizq

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

What kind of bearings are they? Roller bearings? Tapered rollers? Plain bronze? Having more info would
    be a big help...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    BOXFORD VSL500 I think.

Bearings in headstock are shot, where can I find new bearings. Can't seem to have any luck at all searching with google etc.
    In what way are they 'shot'? Have you stripped the spindle and inspected them? Often, all that 'shot' taper roller bearings need is a really good clean, (I had to wash my Raglan's taper roller bearings out 6 times with white spirit before they were clean) oiling or greasing, and reassembling properly adjusted with the right amount of preload. If they really are shot, once you've got them out you can see the makers reference numbers which might make your search easier.
    Tony at www.lathes.co.uk offers a manual and parts list for all the models of Boxford including the VSL.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

The Boxford section at lathes.co.uk states that the spindle bearings are the same as the wheel bearings foe some unstated UK made sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    The Boxford section at lathes.co.uk states that the spindle bearings are the same as the wheel bearings foe some unstated UK made sports car.
    Where does it say that? I've just read a lot of stuff on there, and generally it seems that Boxford used Timken, but the VSL had a different larger spindle and maybe Timken or Gamet 'Precision' - expensive, but it isn't clear. Can't see any reference to sports cars.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Simply bearings in the UK sell Gamet taper rollers, they are expensive.
    https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Ta...461/index.html

update.

Well so far I have taken off the two drive belts. The spindle is noisy but nothing like what it was like. I think they say the boxfords are a little noisy. I just spun the chuck up with a drill to see how loud it was.

It's the saddle bearings on the intermediate shaft that shot.

https://streamable.com/8ufa8?fbclid=...cqH-oI67p21KUQ

Well at least that will be cheaper than spindle bearings.

Well I am not out of the woods just yet. I still don't know what the spindle bearings are like. Trying to work out how to remove the chuck. I have started another post on that too.