Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chev equinox CARTRIDGE oil filter adding insult to injury

Default Chev equinox CARTRIDGE oil filter adding insult to injury

Our chev equinox is out of warranty and I just decided to change my own oil.It was handy to go to the dealer ,but he moved.I was SHOCKED ..The stupid thing has a cartridge oil filter. A THE CARTRIDGE IS PLASTIC. B IT TAKES A SPECIAL 32 MM SHORT SOCKET. C IT FACES UPWARD SO THAT ANY DEBRIS AROUND IT WILL FALL INTO THE OPENING. This filter had been changed by the dealer about 10 times. There is not the slightest trace of oil any where around the mounting surface and it is very hard to clean off . This leads me to question IF THE FILTER HAS EVER BEEN CHANGED.You must change the filter from under the hood,not on the rack.When I was done ,the whole area was a mess. I had hard time wiping all the oil drippings off.Yet ,the dealer did it ten times over a 4 year period and it was spotless..I am normaly not to paranoid but this seem s suspicious. Edwin Dirnbeck

Here is a picture of the cartridge before I changed it this is after the dealer had changed it 10 times over a four year. Not a drop of oil anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably didn't change it. Maybe just put in new oil (or not).

looks just like my VW.
    I got a 32mm wrench and cut it off short, like a spud box end
    its a piece of cake to change, and no, I dont get a mess
    the VW oil drains out of the cartridge upon shutdown

Agree with Ringo, my BMW is the same and I had a VW with it as well, it's great. The housing should drain to the pan when not running and there should be very little oil to leak. The dealer was likely doing it correctly and you unfortunately did something wrong.

I was shocked that we actually went back in time and started using cartridge filters again.

These days if you take your vehicle in for service,witness mark and snap pics,so you can follow up after and make sure it was actually done.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

If you let the car sit for a while before changing the filter it has drained almost completely. Very little to spill. I think it's great as well, just took me ten minutes of removing bottom panels, searching for the filter on the bottom of the engine the first time only to realise it's not there.....

My Chevy Cruze has the same kind of cartridge oil filter. I love it. The cartridges are cheaper than the can type filters and the location make it *so* easy to replace without making mess. The area surrounding my oil filter is also spotless, despite the fact that it has been replaced at every oil change.

My Kia Sedona has a cartridge type as well. Yep, can't trust anyone else to do anything correctly!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

40+ years as a GM tech. Always sprayed off the filter area with brakekleen after I changed the oil. Left clean as the day it was built.
    Other vehicles were set up so as to not be able to clean the residue. Those customers returned complaining of an oil leak after a service. Oil drained into the cross member and then it left spots in the garage...
    You got the good design.
    Joe