Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chev equinox CARTRIDGE oil filter adding insult to injury

I certainly would not get real enthused about an upside down cartridge filter that's actually allowed to drain down when the engine is shut off...

this is a liquid engineering rule #1 NO-NO

something like 90% of all engine connecting rod bearing wear is actually the first few seconds of start up due to not having oil pressure,,, and now your going to allow your "pump up reservoir" to drain down and be completely empty? this further delays oil pressure by another couple three seconds...

really - if this is the case - don't go bragging about it just because it seems "convenient" --- I will do a little struggling with my filter every now and then to not end up on the side of a road with a rod sticking through my engine block...

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    My Chevy Cruze has the same kind of cartridge oil filter. I love it. The cartridges are cheaper than the can type filters and the location make it *so* easy to replace without making mess. The area surrounding my oil filter is also spotless, despite the fact that it has been replaced at every oil change.
    I have 2 older cars with plenty of usual dirt and krud all over.The oil filter face DOWN LIKE THEY SHOULD. When you remove the filter ,any loose particles fall away from the opening. Remenber, The opening goes directly to your main bearings.This design will be a nightmare for anyone that buys a high millage car where someone has neglected to change the filter.If the filter is disintegrated and comes apart when you unscrew it.,all the junk goes into the oil gallery.On the normal can type ,it goes out with the can.Also some people like to partially fill their oil filter to get the flow going faster.,this is not possible with my filter. Edwin Dirnbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    Also some people like to partially fill their oil filter to get the flow going faster.,this is not possible with my filter. Edwin Dirnbeck.
    Bingo... and if this is good practice in doing just in the oil change intervals imagine NOT doing it every time you start your fuquing engine...

I have always filled the filter before installing it. Some newer vehicles don't allow this. They seem to think vehicles are disposable after 5 years or something. In what world is $25,000 disposable?? Not in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I certainly would not get real enthused about an upside down cartridge filter that's actually allowed to drain down when the engine is shut off...

this is a liquid engineering rule #1 NO-NO

something like 90% of all engine connecting rod bearing wear is actually the first few seconds of start up due to not having oil pressure,,, and now your going to allow your "pump up reservoir" to drain down and be completely empty? this further delays oil pressure by another couple three seconds...

really - if this is the case - don't go bragging about it just because it seems "convenient" --- I will do a little struggling with my filter every now and then to not end up on the side of a road with a rod sticking through my engine block...
    Oh my! I'm worried to drive me car home now. I've got 6 years and 147,000 miles out of my Cruze but of course they clearly didn't consult the "liquid engineers" in the design of the 1.4L ecotec engine. If they had, they never would have done something so outrageous as put an oil filter in upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    Oh my! I'm worried to drive me car home now. I've got 6 years and 147,000 miles out of my Cruze but of course they clearly didn't consult the "liquid engineers" in the design of the 1.4L ecotec engine. If they had, they never would have done something so outrageous as put an oil filter in upside down.
    Yeah, I know about internet sarcasm... you do have a point, however I think those engines are not meant to last much longer than 5 years anyway. FWIW my Jeep is 30 years old with 260,000 miles original and I wouldn't hesitate to get in and drive anywhere. Having a newer GM pickup also, I know that they are betting a lot on new oil formulations, the owners manual makes a big deal about using the most expensive synthetics out there... required for the warranty. I am not happy about 60 dollar oil changes.

It should be noted that the new style of canister types of oil filter only drain oil to the sump when the canister is removed, not every time the engine is shut off. Leave the drain plug out until the new filter is reinstalled. When the filer is installed and the cap is back in place an anti-drainback valve is engaged so that the engine is not forced to fill the cartridge every time the engine is re-started. Engine designers and engineers don't like that anymore than we do and realize this cumulative zero pressure situation spells disaster long term.

There should be no mess when changing filters, a lot cleaner process than the old spin-on filter.
    Downside is that one can't pre-fill the canister in order to eliminate those precious seconds with zero oil pressure.
    Last edited by Willy; 08-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Synthetic oil I thought did a good job of clinging on, providing that crucial lubrication in the first few seconds

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Synthetic oil I thought did a good job of clinging on, providing that crucial lubrication in the first few seconds

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    This, plus it's best advantage is that it is able to function at a very wide temperature extreme, hot or cold, and still be able to do it's many functions much better than conventional oil.

It got it's start in aviation where extremes of temperature will absolutely not tolerate conventional oils. If it weren't for synthetics aviation would be dead and on the ground.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Yeah, I know about internet sarcasm... you do have a point, however I think those engines are not meant to last much longer than 5 years anyway. FWIW my Jeep is 30 years old with 260,000 miles original and I wouldn't hesitate to get in and drive anywhere. Having a newer GM pickup also, I know that they are betting a lot on new oil formulations, the owners manual makes a big deal about using the most expensive synthetics out there... required for the warranty. I am not happy about 60 dollar oil changes.
    hey - he bought a chevy cruze lol our work is done here lol

Never before have I heard anyone of resent "bragging" about 147,000 miles,,, geeze what is this the year 1927? log on about a half mil and then get back to me "kid" lol
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.