Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Balling steam, loco restoration

Default High Balling steam, loco restoration

I stumbled upon this on youtube.
    You can see any number of videos on a live steamer, but you never see one that 'turned up the wick'

Look at all the running gear, all the connecting rods, how did they balance all that?
    What keeps it from throwing a rod??
    What forces are involved with the heavy weight of all those rods goin' round?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRTYNxtbnjI

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    You can see any number of videos on a live steamer, but you never see one that 'turned up the wick'

Look at all the running gear, all the connecting rods, how did they balance all that?

Watch the u-tube videos of #4014

I've seen many of 4014, but never to turn it up like this one

844 has never been retired, in active service since it was built. I've walked up to it and touched it back around 2011-12, it looked brand new.

It's partly balanced by the large counterweights on the wheels

But the large steamers still had a hammering effect on the rails.
    As for connecting rods and levers not letting go, they do let go. Some railroads had Camelback locomotives where the engineer sat above the running gear in a center cab, with the fireman behind at the conventional location. Stories of a rod or lever letting go and acting like a giant weed whacker to the engineer.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

As a rule of thumb, a steam locomotive can go as fast as the diameter of its drivers. The 844 has 84" drivers and I've ridden behind her doing well over 90 miles an hour!

but most engines have opposing rods to assist balance, or with single cylinder they have weights at the journal.
    How do these balance with a rod like that?
    Yeah, there is balance cast into the drivers, but, that is on the wheel, imagine the forces on the pin ???

On the cylinder part of the timing of the steam inlet is that the intake valve opens a bit before TDC so that the steam pressure assists in stopping the piston so that it can reverse for the next stroke. All that helps to smooth out the motion.

lg
    no neat sig line

UP Challenger can do it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZMcRwAU2B0
    I asked the crew of 4014 when they were in Iowa Falls when it was going to run all out and they said it wasn't broken in yet and the wear on the locomotive increases exponentially with speed.
    Last edited by Bmyers; 08-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.