Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxford vsl 500 what is this screw for? How do i remove chuck?

If you've got to do that, at least try to take the chuck off first, just in case it isn't preventing removal. At least that would make accessing the screw easier.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

L spindles have a very large keyway on the taper. (I have owned such machines in the past).

What you have most likely has something to do with the key. Remove it and knock the nut off and the chuck will fall off in your hands.

If your particular lathe has had this chuck installed on it since Buddy Holly died all bets are off.
    Last edited by Bented; 08-16-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Yes it has that keyway.

Got the screw out.

Have been flogging the end of the C spanner with a mallet to undo to collar. Then snap!!!!! The back gear lever must have moved just enough and the engage pins sheared off. Well one pin sheared off.

Still have not got the chuck off because when it went bang I just stopped..

Also noticed looking down on thr horizontal shaft there is whst looks like a key on a keyway. Its very loose when i rock the chuck back and fourth.

Oh dear. You were making the mistake of locking the backgear to try to get a difficult chuck off. Common cause of damage in the backgear department. Turn the chuck so that one jaw is at the back and parallel to the bed. Cut a stout piece of wood, hardwood for preference, and wedge it between the jaw and the bed so it can't move. Then try getting the nut undone. Which way are you trying to turn the nut?

Some lathes have a spindle lock especially for this task, but on the VSL, I'm not sure. On Denfords it was at the left hand end of the spindle.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    I have to weld a nut over the top of that screw head and put a spanner over it. The head is stripped out. Yes I would like to take that screw out first...
    Have you tried both metric and imperial Allen keys in it? I'm not sure what system of fasteners Boxford were using when yours was made.

Yeah I got the screw out using a punch and hammer...

The back gear was not engaged. I must have jiggled across as i was hitting the spanner.

This is getting ridiculous.

I put a wrecking bar in the chuck so that it could lock up against the bed casting. Then found a leverage multiplier. Still it would not budge.

It snapped the little round bar pin off the end of the C spanner.

You are going the wrong way
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Yep, you're tightening it... the nut is captive (behind a flange) on the spindle, the nut pulls the chuck onto the taper - unscrew the nut from the chuck.

Oh, put a piece of wood between chuck and ways so when it comes loose it doesn't ding anything up (if you make it to fit right, it's useful for putting the chuck back on, too)

Dave H. ( the other one)
    Last edited by Hopefuldave; 08-17-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools