Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxford vsl 500 what is this screw for? How do i remove chuck?

Mr Apples-
    I told you in post 3 you were turning it the wrong way! The nut is captive on the spindle. It stays on the spindle when the chuck comes off.

Lets hope all your efforts haven't made it really difficult to get off now.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

As others have said, the nut & backplates have right hand threads, so you're tightening it, not slackening it off.

The taper should be really tight by now

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Well I will have to try the other way then, lol.

Just that the thread to me looks like the nut would screw on clockwise to tighten up. Therefore I would need to pull downwards on the lever to make it unwind anti-clockwise.

Hang on. Yes the way I just said is correct, regarding the threads. But that nut does not unwind fully and go towards the chuck.

Richard, yes, now if I think about the nut from looking at it from the left side. Pulling down on the bar will tighten it, pushing up should loosen it.

You want to be either pulling up, or pushing spanner away from you. Put some protection on ways, as spanner tends to hit them when nut comes loose.

The set screw deal is a non factory modification.

The plunger just up and to the left is the spindle lock.. if it's working, no need for gears to be engaged ( and better).

I have a 500 VSL.

Oh good, an actual 500VSL owner. Hopefully you'll be able to give the OP some sound advice when he comes to take the spindle out to inspect the bearings.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Obviously the OP didn't look at the link in my post#4, or understand the drawing. I can imagine what is going to happen to the poor bearings.

Hey, I got it off, whoo hoo!

That threaded section with the notch in it actually freely spins around the shaft. It's just there to lock it to the big chuck retaining nut. Now I know.

There is one word that was missing from this thread:

KROIL

Doesn't anyone oil things anymore?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!