Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boxford vsl 500 what is this screw for? How do i remove chuck?

[QUOTE=apples;1251926]Hey, I got it off, whoo hoo!

If you are going to pull this spindle (really the only way to get a good look at the bearing on the right side of the headstock), you may want to get the manual from lathes.co.uk. You will need to pull out the backgear, pull the gear from the spindle that drives the feed/threading gears, and drive the spindle out toward the tailstock to get the bearings out. I performed these operations a year ago when I got my 500 VSL. My bearings were fine - I just cleaned, regreased and re-assembled.

The Boxford forum on Yahoo has quite a bit of information. There is also some info on the Boxford forum at hobby shop machinist.

John
    All (admittedly not many) LOO chuck retainers I've used have the nut captive on the spindle. I don't understand the one which Apple has just taken off which seems to have a thread on the backplate, as usual, but another thread on the spindle. Is this a method peculiar to Boxford? How does it work?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Oh, I think I see. Theres a captive ring behind the lip on the spindle which is free to rotate. Its got a thread on its edge to match the ones on the backplates, and has a notch at one point. The main body of the retaining nut is threaded straight through. To assemble, the nut body is threaded on to the captive ring until the notch on the back of the nut body aligns with the notch on the captive ring. Then the allen screw and the dovetail wedge are fitted, locking the body of the retaining nut to the captive ring. The whole lot then forms the normal captive nut used on LOO and LO spindle noses., and fitting the chuck/faceplate/whatever proceeds as normal. In normal use, theres no need to separate the retaining nut body and captive ring when changing chucks. I'm not sure I see the point of it, though it does make access to the front bearing retaining plate access screws a lot easier.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

That is not a standard nut by any means, the nut would have unscrewed if the wedge had been left in place. The nut will have to be screwed back on to the ring and the wedge replaced before the chuck can be refitted.

Yes, but now the OP has dismantled it, it can stay that way while he strips the bearings, then he can re assemble it.

Something is very amiss with that nut and spindle.

Not necessarily. The bit with the thread on just in front of the headstock bearing housing isn't part of the spindle. Its a separate loose collar made captive by the flange of the spindle, just like a normal LOO nut is captive.
    From a production point of view I can see advantages in the 2 piece nut that Apple has got. The normal one piece nut has to be made one at a time, the threading operation having to be done into a blind ended hole. With the 2 piece, set up a length of bar for the captive collar, long enough to make, say 12 of them. Cut thread down length of bar, part off into required length for each part. Same with the main nut, maybe for 4 at a time. Cut thread through length of bar, part off into suitable lengths.
    It certainly doesn't look like something Bubba has created, it looks like a factory product, and can only have been installed with the spindle out. Odd though that no one else has ever seen one like it. Maybe if Apple contacts Boxford they may have an elderly gent in the back room who remembers these being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    Oh dear. You were making the mistake of locking the backgear to try to get a difficult chuck off. Common cause of damage in the backgear department. Turn the chuck so that one jaw is at the back and parallel to the bed. Cut a stout piece of wood, hardwood for preference, and wedge it between the jaw and the bed so it can't move. Then try getting the nut undone. Which way are you trying to turn the nut?

Some lathes have a spindle lock especially for this task, but on the VSL, I'm not sure. On Denfords it was at the left hand end of the spindle.
    Yep, all VSL's have a spindle lock.
    In the OP's pic, as in all MK II Boxfords, it's that chrome button on the headstock front face. Turn the spindle whilst pushing on the button until it clicks in and engages.

Edit.
    Just read pages 3 & 4.
    Something does not seem right with those headstock/spindle LOO details.
    I am sure Boxford is the same as any other LOO lathe fittings, mine is the older 1.500" threaded spindle.
    Last edited by thaiguzzi; 08-19-2019 at 03:33 AM.