Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxford vsl 500 what is this screw for? How do i remove chuck?

Default Boxford vsl 500 what is this screw for? How do i remove chuck?

I want to clean and inspect the bearings. How do i remove the chuck. What is the small screw for?

Last edited by apples; 08-16-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Oh dear. The poor thing looks like its had a hard life. First suggestion is that before you do anything else, give it a good clean down. Both you and it will feel better afterwards.
    The big castellated nut is fitted to the spindle and holds the chuck backplate onto a steep taper on the nose of the spindle. Judging by the bruising showing on the castellation in the photos you've been trying to turn it the wrong way. The castellated nut is retained on the spindle and engages a thread on the backplate. With the big Cee spanner fitted to the nut and the handle facing upwards, you should push it away from you to loosen the nut. This should release the chuck, Careful you don't let it drop.
    Its maybe 50 years since I had to change a chuck with an LO or LOO fitting, and I don't remember that grub screw. Looks like its some sort of safety locking device. Try slacking it off.
    Not being rude but if you are having to ask how to get the chuck off, you really do need to get hold of a handbook before you try stripping the spindle. Try Tony at lathes.co.uk. Read his site for information on Boxford lathes, inc the 500VSL. Note what he says about cleaning out the grease type bearings if they've stood for a while.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

This link to the Practical Machinist forum shows your type of chuck fitting: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-dream-272478/
    it wouldn't hurt to remove the screw and wedge just in case they are an added locking device.
    Last edited by old mart; 08-16-2019 at 11:37 AM.

You don't need to touch that allen key screw. Use the C spanner and a big hammer. Select a neutral gear so you are not bashing your gears.

The direction to turn is obvious because there are threads exposed.
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Yes, but what is the allen screw and wedge for, its got me puzzled. Because Boxford supplied largely to the education sector, was it some sort of preventer to stop the little dears from unscrewing the nut when teacher wasn't looking? If so, why didn't teacher just lock the spanner away out of their reach?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Looking at the picture of the wedge held on by the allen screw and comparing it with a sectioned drawing of the nut, it would seem that Davidhcnc is correct, in that it will not have anything to do with the unscrewing of the chuck. I would like to know what it is there for.

Looks to me like the wedge enters a machined recess on the backplate threads. This would keep the nut from unscrewing off the backplate.

I did wonder that, but it would mean the nut when tightened would have to line up exactly with the backplate, and even if it did that when new, probably wouldn't do so after a few years. Would also mean it had to do that with all the chucks, faceplate, catchplate etc. Anyway, when the OP follows that advice hes been given and gets the chuck off, we may see. Can't see it would do any harm to slack that Allen screw off, even remove the wedge, before undoing the nut.

I have to weld a nut over the top of that screw head and put a spanner over it. The head is stripped out. Yes I would like to take that screw out first...