Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off topic car battery corosion nonsence

I use Rust Check on my battery connections and have never had any corrosion problems since I started to use it.

Yeah, before terminal sprays I used grease. The non-hardening sprays work the best. I think the idea is to keep air/acid away from the terminals.

The "grease" I use is No-Ox - typically used for aluminum wires to stop oxidation. Slightly messy, but works well. I have bare copper washers to sandwich terminals under the stainless nuts for the charging and aux power cables (marine, electric barges) that really like to corrode - all get a smear. I'd use tinned washers (and No-ox), but never got around to it.

Locate the battery vents and make sure they are working and not blocked.Normally even when charging,the battery will never see much greater than atmospheric pressures,unless the vents are blocked or it is seeing a rapid charge rate.Regular short driving intervals will usually cause this to show up,cranking up and only driving a couple miles is the worst.

There is a safety issue here too,always be careful of electrostatic discharges around lead acid batteries that are under charge or have just finished charging.It takes time for batteries to vent off and an ESD is enough to touch off an explosion.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

To add to the list of battery terminal coatings. I have had very good success with spray on Fluid Film. Just put it all together clean and dry, then spray the terminals. I believe it keeps the air and moisture away thus preventing corrosion.
    Larry