Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titanium. What is the fascination with it? Watching Battlebots.

I use titanium rods and wire in my zinc plating tank. It is inert to the chemicals. Steel, aluminum or copper would start to corrode in hours.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    I use titanium rods and wire in my zinc plating tank. It is inert to the chemicals. Steel, aluminum or copper would start to corrode in hours.

Ed
    Stainless? There are really nice SS alloys. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I was told that Titanium fuses to bone much more readily. Don't know if it is true or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    The order of progression at work is -

Strong but cheap,no weight restrictions=steel
    Strong but cheap,with weight restrictions and no heat restrictions=aluminum
    Strong but cheap,with weight and heat restrictions= stainless
    Titanium=unicorn metal,you really gotta have a specific need for it.
    You left out one really really important factor, which is very important to me and many many others.

Can it be used as is, for intended purpose or will it need additional treating at what expense.....ie paint or plating.

The International Space Station has many meters of hydraulic line. The SR-71 used a lot of Ti tubing. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Stainless? There are really nice SS alloys. JR
    Yes, I expect that some SS alloys might work OK, too.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

The only Ti I got to play with was this rod below. Oops. I forgot to add. Pick the metal.

I think, it has been 30 years there is brass, copper, titanium, a SS of unknown value and some aluminum. Nice selection for dumpster diving. 1/2" trash I found, no lathe. I got lucky. I scrounged for these sections. I made each rod look like the others.

Three silver and two yellow.

Tell me JR

[/QUOTE]

From left, I would say bronze, Ti, SS , copper, Aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Didn't realize the dome was part of his spinning weapon. My line of tactical reasoning would be going straight at nightmare, the dome absorbing the initial impact with the ablative armor doing its job, while your horizontal spinner tears him to bits. His vertical spinner isn't a robust design once you get past his initial hit[.]
    -That's basically the strategy for anyone with an active weapon. Generally that's the heaviest-built part of the robot, being designed to strike the other guy with a lot of force.

Warhead is reasonably well armored from other directions, but Nightmare has virtually no actual armor- he has to run at you with the blade weapon, as he basically can't take a hit anywhere else.

The Nightmare/Warhead fight had basically no other choice- both weapons are devastating enough that a strike to any of the lightly-armored parts of of either robot would be basically one hit and it's over. They had to go at it face-to-face, so to speak, and the outcome was almost inevitable. As you say, Nightmare's wheel lacks any real strength anywhere but in the direction it turns. Warhead's dome is pretty robust no matter where you whack it, and it's horizontal axis was ideal to knock a tooth off of Nightmare in the wheel's weakest direction.

That's basically how the big match up between Nightmare and Son of Whyachi was going to play out- Whyachi's hammers were going to beat on the wheel in the wheel's weakest direction. The actual outcome was that the arena "traps" upset Nightmare's lunge and caused him to turn slightly, and Whyachi struck one of Nightmare's drive wheels, shearing it off and destroying it.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

It does'nt like being drilled or tapped unless everything is better than new...