Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holex Corp. Trepanning Tool

Default Holex Corp. Trepanning Tool

Is this company still around making these?
    Or were they bought out, sold, went out of business, merged etc??

JL.....

Are you looking to buy a new one? Bring some money bags, they are expensive. I buy them used. I have four diff sizes and they are usually in good condition used.

If you need repair parts then the company would be needed. Solly I couldnt help. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Last time I bought some was from Penntool-

Grab a seat before looking at the prices though

http://www.penntoolco.com/holex-hole...utting-blades/
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Are you looking to buy a new one? Bring some money bags, they are expensive. I buy them used. I have four diff sizes and they are usually in good condition used.

If you need repair parts then the company would be needed. Solly I couldnt help. JR

No, I found one last year for $200. It's the 12" model. Would rather have the 6" one but I couldn't pass it up for the price. I don't think it's been used much, only two of the assorted cutters look like they were used a few times. The end caps where the adjusting set screws are rusted and pitted, the rest looks like new. I was thinking of looking into replacing them but after seeing the prices on those cutters I can only imagine what they would want for the two end cap parts.
    This came with an ETM R8 to 1 1/2" socket adapter and the 1 1/2" straight shank arbor that screws into the bar. Don't know why anyone would go that way as far as mounting goes.
    That puts the bar about 6" below the spindle. It also came with an R8 that mounts directly to the bar, that's the one I'll use.
    I've never used one of these before but sure could have in the past.
    I have to ask...... I'm a bit concerned about slipping the R8 in my spindle. The larger the diameter you cut the more likely the R8 is to slip.
    What would be the proper down feed rate ?? As you all know the BP's lowest downfeed rate is .001 per rev. Is that safe??

JL...................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    N

The end caps where the adjusting set screws are rusted and pitted,
    JL...................
    Dang. I wanted to post a bunch of stuff cause I have used trepanning tools to make 1-2" plates of various diameters. That fat boy, small Cat-40 I showed uses carbide bits.

They are a common size and shape. Just have to know where to look,

I have smaller sets that also use carbide.

And the smaller ones use HSS. JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 08-19-2019 at 12:29 AM.

I've never used one of these before but sure could have in the past.
    I have to ask...... I'm a bit concerned about slipping the R8 in my spindle. The larger the diameter you cut the more likely the R8 is to slip.
    What would be the proper down feed rate ?? As you all know the BP's lowest downfeed rate is .001 per rev. Is that safe??

JL...................
    Yeah, I dont know. It seems like it should be ok. I dont use R-8 on anything now.

That big one I showed you should not be on an R-8 spindle. It is a big bar and those cutters are about 3/16" thick.

I like to cut slow with these. All these carbide folks saying us HSM prolly shouldn't use carbide are nay Sayers.

I have cut through 2" plate in a few diff diameters and it was solid.

I dont know speeds and feeds. I just go slow. JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 08-19-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Here is a picture of what I got. It's really clean except for the two end caps which are pretty well pitted. I was going to see if I could price new ones or just make them. They did have some crude index marks that looked to be etched on them but the pitting took most of what was unreadable away.

The set came with the cutters shown. I believe there are different ones available but since all the slots in the box are full tells me that's what came in this particular set.
    It also came with the direct mount R8.

This is the 1 1/2" straight shank arbor and ETM adapter that also came with this. The shank is marked Holex and the R8 is ETM. I can't understand why anyone would want to use this set up.
    I would have to add a riser to my mill to get the clearance to use it, and in the end it all comes down to the R8.

JL...............

Literature..........

I also got a few original price sheets and sales brochures.

These were pretty pricey back then. This one is dated 1996.

This is all I got that gives some approximates on cutting. Nothing on down feed rate vs RPM.
    I wouldn't be too worried about cutting small dia. holes with the .001 down feed but larger dia. like 6" an up I would probably lock the quill and raise the knee to do those size holes. Just wouldn't be comfortable with the down feed. One snag and the R8 slips. The larger the dia. of cut the more leverage against the R8.

JL.................

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Last time I bought some was from Penntool-

Grab a seat before looking at the prices though

http://www.penntoolco.com/holex-hole...utting-blades/
    These guys have nothing for this. They told me they never sold any of these and never stocked any parts or cutters.

JL..............

These guys have nothing for this. They told me they never sold any of these and never stocked any parts or cutters.

JL..............
    Then either they drop shipped mine from Holex,or the guy you talked to doesn't know they have a whole web page dedicated to Holex products?????
    I just need one more tool,just one!