Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Making fish eyes

Default OT - Making fish eyes

Bit of a stretch topic wise, but there was "some" machining content . Just thought I share some pics of tonight's adventures.

Made some fishing lures with the kids last weekend and drilled the eye sockets for 1/4". Didn't have a 1/4" gasket punch so had to make a quick and dirty one....(the "some" machining content). Used that to punch out some discs from some aluminum duct tape. Set those on top of some woodscrew pedestals, and did some toothpick painting for some background colour, then put some black dots on for the pupil. Next I mixed up some 5min epoxy and dripped it onto the discs so that they will bulge up and surface tension will hold them into a dome shape.

This was my second time trying this, and the first ones I did last weekend looked like the fish have cataracts. The epoxy I used had too many bubbles in it (resin had turned to a gel), not to mention I used a 5/16" diameter punch, which wouldn't fit the holes I drilled.......Good excuse to try again. They came out much better this time. Still a few small bubbles but much clearer. Hopefully we'll get to finish the lures this weekend and maybe try them out.

Pic of the lures before I drilled the eye sockets, and poured the lead.

Been a fun little project so far. Next job is to learn how to airbrush and get some colour on there. Never done it before, and I'm not much of a painter....

Pretty kewl.

awesome

"Eye" like 'em. They have a certain "allure"...

What fish do you target.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Didn't have a 1/4" gasket punch so had to make a quick and dirty one....(the "some" machining content)...
    So you not only made the punch, but you also blackened it? What did you use to blacken it?

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    So you not only made the punch, but you also blackened it? What did you use to blacken it?
    It's just the bad lighting. It's only a piece of bright unhardened O1. But I have successfully "blackened" steel before by heating it up and dunking it in used motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    What fish do you target.?
    Most of the lakes we fish around here have bass (large/small mouth), yellow perch, walleye, and pike and musky. In the summer time I'm mostly targeting walleye and in the winter perch (table fare). Not sure what we'll catch if anything with these things though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Most of the lakes we fish around here have bass (large/small mouth), yellow perch, walleye, and pike and musky. In the summer time I'm mostly targeting walleye and in the winter perch (table fare). Not sure what we'll catch if anything with these things though lol.
    Pickerel brother, pickerel. You're from Ontario, Yanks call it Walleye. Fight like a boot but unfortunately for them super tasty. Was out on Erie a couple weekends ago, we didn't have much luck but a fellow back at the ramp had limited out and offered some to us. Made fish tacos with them (beer battered pickerel nuggets, mango salsa, jalapeno mayo), delicious. I'll actually take perch over pickerel though, fortunate enough to live close enough to several fish and chip shops that serve fresh Erie perch.

Lures look great, can't wait to see some colour (and then some teeth marks) on them.

You know you got the eye's right when they start to creep you out - definite creep factor going on there,,,

Tom I hope your not actually eating anything that comes out of lake erie, born and raised in the smelly mitten here and unless something has drastically changed that's been a no-no for quite sometime now --- no?

Things have changed drastically for the better Boomer. The introduction of Zebra Mussels actually turned out for good in the end, they've done a great job cleaning the water. Years ago it was pea soup, now you can see down a ways depending on wave action/sediment. Fisheries have been booming the last couple years, bass are huge and pickerel are abundant. There is some concern that the pollution from years past has been concentrated in the zebra mussels and the gobies that eat them, but that's not really a concern with pickerel and perch as gobies and mussels don't make up a huge portion of their diet. I wouldn't be eating anything to big or old, but 3-5 year fish are great.

The big fight these days is algae blooms due to agricultural runoff, they seem to be showing up every year in the western basin.
    Last edited by Tom S; 08-23-2019 at 11:10 AM.