Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT - Making fish eyes

The biggest fish I ever caught was a largemouth bass, about 6 pounds. It was caught on a big green wooden frog that was all made in segments. I was about 12 years old and had stopped on the way home from school and was fishing off old Charley Eiders dock. The drag on my casting rod wasn't tight enough and I couldn't get the fish landed. My cousin Wayne got so excited that he jumped into the lake and grabbed the fish once I got it in close to shore. Neither of us had seen a fish that big before. It was about a week before bass season opened, but there was no way I was throwing it back. I had a parcel carrier mounted on the front of my old J.C. Higgins bicycle, and that fish was so big it hung over both ends of the parcel carrier.
    There were a lot of Birch trees around the dock, and later that summer I managed to cast up into the damned trees and my line broke. Far as I know, the frog is still up there.--Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Started working on the next lure last night. An 8" jointed perch swimbait.

My first time carving anything that is supposed to look like something else. Struggled a bit with the symmetry of the face but I don't think a fish would complain

If I get time tonight I'll start on the fins and tail. If not it'll have to wait till next weekend. Hopefully this one goes well, as I have a much more ambitious one planned for the next lure. It's been fun so far. Wish I had more time to use them though .

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    The biggest fish I ever caught was a largemouth bass, about 6 pounds. It was caught on a big green wooden frog that was all made in segments. I was about 12 years old and had stopped on the way home from school and was fishing off old Charley Eiders dock. The drag on my casting rod wasn't tight enough and I couldn't get the fish landed. My cousin Wayne got so excited that he jumped into the lake and grabbed the fish once I got it in close to shore. Neither of us had seen a fish that big before. It was about a week before bass season opened, but there was no way I was throwing it back. I had a parcel carrier mounted on the front of my old J.C. Higgins bicycle, and that fish was so big it hung over both ends of the parcel carrier.
    There were a lot of Birch trees around the dock, and later that summer I managed to cast up into the damned trees and my line broke. Far as I know, the frog is still up there.--Brian
    Biggest bass I caught was a 22 1/2" FAT small mouth (~6-6.5lbs estimated). I was about 13 and fishing with my Dad and his friend in a 14' tinner and hooked into a monster. After the first jump we all looked at each other and then made a plan to get it in the boat with no net. It jumped a couple more times, as I was trying to get it to the side of the boat so one of them could grab it when it took line again, then started running toward the surface and jumped right in the middle of the boat. I wanted to keep it to mount, but dad convinced me to throw it back. No camera or scale, only a measuring tape. Its the only noteworthy fish I've ever caught. Don't think I've ever caught another one over 5 since, but I'm not much of a bass fisherman.

I don't really care for fish as a meal. Don't like the taste of fish, so I don't go fishing. My oldest boy is a real fisherman, but him and his family like the taste of fish. It took me a while when I was a kid to learn the all important lesson--"If you won't eat it, then don't kill it."
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I don't really care for fish as a meal. Don't like the taste of fish, so I don't go fishing. My oldest boy is a real fisherman, but him and his family like the taste of fish. It took me a while when I was a kid to learn the all important lesson--"If you won't eat it, then don't kill it."
    Most times I go fishing it's with the hope that something comes home for the table as we all love fish here. I generally don't keep bass, but have kept smaller 2-3lbs once in a while. A 6+lber is much more useful as a breeder than a meal, but trying to convince a 13yo who's just caught the biggest fish of his life that, must have been a challenge back then for Dad lol. It was the right call. Smaller fish taste better anyway IMO.

Lookin' good. But with that setup and those socks, how do you not track fish and chips into the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Lookin' good. But with that setup and those socks, how do you not track fish and chips into the house?
    I've stolen a corner of the basement for some small woodworking tools. I brought my bandsaw down, wood lathe, and small belt/disc sander. I share a room with the woodstove, and wood storage so it's messy already, and any scrap disapears quickly Just gotta be careful that the dust, and chips don't find their way onto the other side of the basement that is my wifes yarn/craft stuff. Shopvac is pretty handy for that . Her Dad's entire basement is his woodshop, so she "understands".

On a related note, we got out fishing today, and although all the lures we made previously worked surprisingly well (yeah, even that blue worm contraption my son made lol), with pretty good action we couldn't convince any fish to take a bite in any of the 4 spots we stopped and fished from today. My Son has the "building bug" and is just like me. He came home with a head full of ideas to make for next time. Can't wait.