Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbolting headstock from bed? Alignment issues?

Boxford MK1 VSL

Finally go the spindle out.

The ways look like they do go right under the headstock.

I think has one bolt and a clamping plate each end of the underside of the headstock to pull it down to the vee rails.

Taiwanese 14x40 with gap bed that I am refurbishing. Note that due to gap, headstock is NOT on the bed V-ways. Screw marked is presumably to adjust the lateral position of the bed. There is a similar screw in the rear of the headstock casting. I have dissembled everything else, but don't think I really have a need to remove the headstock from the bed. Some people have concerns about re-aligning the gap piece, and are nervous about removing it for similar reasons. I'm not worried about that.

"A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Why do you want to take it off? Unless you know there is an alignment problem, probably best left alone IMHO.

Pleased you got the spindle stripped, so what do the bearings look like?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

There's a guy on UK ebay selling some used spindle bearings. He seems to have a good rep.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123885608843
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Don't assume anything... The Emco's I had have machined v-ways BUT the head stock is further shimmed into alignment (axially and radially) with either very thin (sub thou) metal shims or oiled paper (yep) on the SIDES on the V way. Doesn't take much to be a problem as you get further way from the head stock.

When you put it back together, check it (many threads on how to do this) and adjust as required.
    I'm sure there are or were companies that used shims to bring the head into alignment, but anyway........ take careful note when taking it apart. If you find any shims just make sure to put them back where they were.
    I always felt that a quality made machine had the spindle bearing seats line bored off the bed way to ensure the spindle was in line on both planes.

JL............

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    Boxford MK1 VSL

Finally go the spindle out.

The ways look like they do go right under the headstock.

I think has one bolt and a clamping plate each end of the underside of the headstock to pull it down to the vee rails.

Its not a mk I VSL if it has a LOO spindle nose. It's either a mk I 1/2 or mk II which would then make it a 5" centre height lathe.
    This my 1969 mk I, Southbend 9A spindle details, 4.5" centre height, 22" between centres.

According to Tony's site, it was possible to have a 4 1/2" VSL with the L00 nose and big bore spindle. A lot of examination of his photos suggests that because of the control layout on the cabinet, Apple might have a Mk2 with the electromagnetic spindle brake on the motor, and that its post 1975 because its got 'sealed for life' spindle bearings (no greasers on the sloping face of the headstock) The speed control handwheel seems to be missing. Easy for Apple to tell us what the centre height is, and possibly what the serial number is. Initially he said it was a 500VSL, but he seems to have changed his mind about that.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Look at the left hand end of your Boxford, you should get a better idea of whether the headstock casting is aligned by the vees. I would lay odds that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyf View Post
    Taiwanese 14x40 with gap bed that I am refurbishing. Note that due to gap, headstock is NOT on the bed V-ways. Screw marked is presumably to adjust the lateral position of the bed. There is a similar screw in the rear of the headstock casting. I have dissembled everything else, but don't think I really have a need to remove the headstock from the bed. Some people have concerns about re-aligning the gap piece, and are nervous about removing it for similar reasons. I'm not worried about that.

The more I think about it the more I don't like that design. I have to wonder what happens when the end of the screws start to bite or sink into the casting from force, vibration etc. You would be chasing alignment on this thing for ever. I see it as a cheap cost cutting way to make something. With this method of alignment the mfg. can be real sloppy with the tolerances during manufacturing and then quickly assemble and align the head. How long will it stay in alignment??? That's a lot of weight sitting four small points of what?? a 5/16" dia bolt?
    Even if the bed ways are flame hardened to a few thou. in depth the casting will still compress under the weight and load.

JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 08-25-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Those screws highlighted on the Taiwanese lathe are only for the fine adjustment. the bolts going vertical into the bed do the holding.