Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy duty die holder

Default Heavy duty die holder

I have a story to tell. It starts out very sad, but it has a happy ending. My old die holder, which was a hand me down from my father, gave up the ghost. It was a junky piece, part of a junky set, and I wasn't sad when it finally died. I went over to my tooling supplier, and bought a nice brand new one. I had a 1/2"-13 bolt which I needed a longer thread on, so I took my 1/2"-13 die, and my nice new die holder, and set out to do so. It was very tough going, and I thought maybe I'd grown weak from being so old. So--I did what countless dumb-asses have done over the ages, and put a piece of pipe over each end of the new die holder. No consideration was given to the thought that my 1/2"-13 die was part of the original junky set, and was duller than a hoe. This is the result. I deserved it, for doing a dumb thing.
    Brian Rupnow

I thought about returning it to the vendor and lying like Hell about putting pipes over the handles, to see if he'd give me another one. I couldn't do it. If I tell a lie, its going to have to be for something a lot more expensive than a $15 die holder.--But wait!!!---I'm a design engineer, right? I'll design one and build it. So, I did.

Brian Rupnow

I found a piece of 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel flatbar, and laid out the shape of the center piece. Then, while it was still rectangular and easy to hold in my milling vice, I drilled and bored the center pocket for the die, and two 1/2" holes that would eventually become slots. I then cut out the shape with my bandsaw, smoothed it up on my giant stationary belt sander, and drilled the three #10-24 holes for grub screws to hold the die.

Brian Rupnow

Next thing to do was cut two pieces of 1/2" cold rolled for handles and weld them into the center plate. Darn I love my mig welder!!
    Brian Rupnow

Next amazing stunt was to grind of all the extra weld and polish things up a little. Wowser, it looks great. It would take four men and a bulldog to bend this one. So, for the low, low price of $5 for material, I have a new heavy duty die holder. Never mind the fact that if I charged for my time it would be worth well North of $150. See--Told ya the story was going to have a happy ending.
    Brian Rupnow

Nice job Brian. Now don't put a cheater pipe on it, and bust that one too

Looks great Brian. Take the broken one back where you bought it and ask them why they are selling die holders made of pot metal.

Good one Brian, another one of those jobs well done.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

That's a good fix. Just make a new and improved one. That should hold out for ever.

I've never seen a die holder with three bolts so close together. Usually they are two opposed and the one pointed one that goes in the split.

JL............

Nice looking die stock, Brian ...