Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mill DRO - having extra scale(s) for Z axis

Default Mill DRO - having extra scale(s) for Z axis

I installed a Mitutoyo DRO to my current small table Bridgeport. It met my then requirement of available used (cheap) and able to monitor X & Y axis position. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8 Features it really does not have. For Z-axis, I have mounted an import digital caliper to the quill.

I have assembled and am debugging a new to me Bridgeport with a standard size table and I am looking into installing a DRO before selling off the small table mill. I expect to buy a unit from DROPros or similar supplier. I am trying to decide if I want to spend extra for a scale on the knee and possible a scale on the quill (my understanding is that these two scales input the Z-axis display).

Any of you splurged for a z-axis scale? One or two scales? Any of you regret not adding a 3rd or 4th scale to your mill when you bought a DRO? Any features that some newer DROs have that you find indispensable (new is relative to my antique Mitutoyo)? Other lessons learned with respect to buying a DRO?

Default Z DRO

Ten years ago I mounted a modified HF digital caliper to my round ram Bridgeport mill.
    It has been a very helpful accessory. I cut the jaws off and made a mount and link to the quill stud.

When I put the X & Y scales on my mill I went the extra for the knee and quill. No regrets. Had to get a coupler box to connect them to. I can set it to read a couple different ways, meaning track opposed etc. You really need both knee and quill. If I didn't put them both on I would have regretted it without a doubt.

JL..................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 08-29-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I may add a Z scale to my knee at some point.

Shortly after I bought my Craftes mill I installed a 3 axis DRO Pros on it. The mill came with a cheap DRO on the quill that didn't work very well and you had to keep feeding batteries to.
    It was a bit of work designing and fabricating mounts but I am happen I went that way. It had worked perfectly and I gained all the features of the larger DRO. Picture shows the quill mounting.

Larry

In time your going to find out that it's a must to have a scale on the knee. I can't count how many times I had to lower the knee to change tooling and didn't want to loose my setting.

JL..............

JoeLee:

Please explain about the "coupler box". I am presuming that the quill scale and the knee scale read in opposite directions so that raising the knee or lowering the quill would change the z-axis display in the same direction. Correct? I assumed the summation of the two z-axis scales occurred in the DRO display. If so, what does the coupler do?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    When I put the X & Y scales on my mill I went the extra for the knee and quill. No regrets. Had to get a coupler box to connect them to. I can set it to read a couple different ways, meaning track opposed etc. You really need both knee and quill. If I didn't put them both on I would have regretted it without a doubt.

JL..................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    In time your going to find out that it's a must to have a scale on the knee. I can't count how many times I had to lower the knee to change tooling and didn't want to loose my setting.

JL..............
    That has not been my experience. If I change tooling, the setting is lost anyway (since position relative to the tooling is what's important in Z axis). I installed a 3 axis DRO on my Bridgeport clone but haven't bothered to mount the Z axis; the knee dial does what I need and I've never had a use for the Z axis.

Can you get a readout with X, Y and two Z axis readouts on it? Having a quill dro is useful when drilling, I have just ordered a short digital calliper style one except the scale is horizontal when the dro axis is vertical. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...100mm-to-300mm

Hi oldmart,

Which one did you order and have you installed it yet? A picture of this would be great, as I've come to the realization that even just the quill having a readout would make life a whole lot easier. using the ruler does not always work. Probably need to get one!!

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris