Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on mill for sale

You can get a decent 8x12 shed for $2000, so add $800 or so for the lathe and transport, and for less than $3000 you have a well-equipped machine shop. That is, assuming you have enough land to put a shed on, and zoning / covenants that allow such structures. Even if you just store it there, and maybe clean it up and make sure everything works well, you could always sell it for a lot more. You also might put it in an enclosed trailer as a mobile machine shop!

I've been known to transport large objects in pieces, a bit at a time, and reassemble them in their permanent location. lo-buck, but effective, good way to build neighbors too.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    man, with luck like that I'd consider buying some lottery tickets
    It's not luck, I'm just a talker. The one thing I'm not afraid to do is talk to just about anyone I don't know. Some people are a**hats, but a lot of people that most people would not normally talk to know a whole lot more, and a whole lot more people than people would think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by junkaddict View Post
    It's not luck, I'm just a talker. The one thing I'm not afraid to do is talk to just about anyone I don't know. Some people are a**hats, but a lot of people that most people would not normally talk to know a whole lot more, and a whole lot more people than people would think they do.
    Yeah yeah yeah... WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT IT YET? If yer not going to buy it, where is the PM giving me the name and contact information for the seller?

I'm going to pass on it, I'm at maximum density in my shop. I don't want to break the forum rules, as I know this is not a place to list things for sale, it's in the Los Angeles area, it's a friend of a friend of an acquaintance, and I can put anyone who is seriously interested in contact with the seller through a PM. I like this forum, and dont want to get banned from it, so if passing on a deal I'm passing on is out of line, let me know, I'll delete this post.

I'm going to pass on it, I'm at maximum density in my shop. I don't want to break the forum rules, as I know this is not a place to list things for sale, it's in the Los Angeles area, it's a friend of a friend of an acquaintance, and I can put anyone who is seriously interested in contact with the seller through a PM. I like this forum, and dont want to get banned from it, so if passing on a deal I'm passing on is out of line, let me know, I'll delete this post.
    Thank you, I know any members in the LA area will greatly appreciate it. I am in the same boat as you, I literally cannot add any more machinery to my shop without getting rid of more stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the mill.

I would suggest focusing your tooling budget on endmills and the like before shelling out for a nice vise. I bought two very similar looking "drill press" vises, a 4 inch and an 8 inch right after I finished assembling my mill. They fit my then requirement of cheap to acquire. Both of my vises had key slot grooves in them. That feature made it very easy to set up the vise - drop into a t-slot groove push the vise against the t-slot and tighten in place (I had done the same initially and then milled a very light skim cut to true the vise up the the t-slots).

I finally bought an unknown/unbranded (tag missing) Kurt style 6 inch machinist vise after using the other two "drill press" vises exclusively for over a decade. I still use the two "drill press" vises on occasion when the task at hand warrants it, and have seen similar style vises mounted to mills in a few shops.

It is a heavy duty drill press vice, but he was throwing it in, so I took it. I will get a milling vise for it....

... I did not want to tear down another machine, but I guess it is learning experience. ...
    I would not tear it down. Way easier to wipe all the sliding surfaces with oil, squirt onto screws etc and cycle it a bit. Keep wiping, squirting and cycling till it comes clean.

Huh! What? Wait, I thought he passed on it. ...(See post #75)

Man, if I had a truck and trailer, that mill would be in Texas already.

No, he bought the mill. He passed on the lathe that the seller had as well.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger