Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion on mill for sale

Where it is has a driveway that can be backed up right to the door. My garage can be backed right up to. Mover said he would wheel it where I wanted it in the garage. Just hoping all goes as planned.

I would jump on that with both feet,had a Frejoth lathe on the farm for 25yrs.It was sold by Acklands in mid 80's.Whats your location.

I was hoping you would get the Tree 2UVRC that was pointed out to you in another post. But I have to admit you almost can't beat this $400 you suck deal. As far as moving machines I suggest you consider moving it yourself if at all possible. A price of $375 to move it to and in your shop sound pretty good but beware many movers of machinery know not what they are doing.

I've seen chains tightened on ways, chains and straps across ends of mill tables and cinched down. Handles, oiling tubes, conduit, switches and DRO scales ruined by machinery movers.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I wouldn't have even risked taking the time to post on here, I'd be on my way with a trailer, $400 and a case of beer!
    Wot he said.
    For $400 i'd say 2 cases of beer.
    Thats not a bargain, that is theft.

Why are you here, asking a bunch of very jealous fellow metalheads whether this is a good deal or not?

Good grief, man, go get that mill, and then be quiet about how much you paid for it, lest someone charge you with larceny.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Wot he said.
    For $400 i'd say 2 cases of beer.
    Thats not a bargain, that is theft.
    you're right, I'm sorry, I was being tight

fingers'n'toes crossed junkaddict! It's been great following your lathe thread. Even if the mill needs some work (and hopefully it doesn't) I've no doubt you'll get it done.

That looks like exactly the same machine as my 1991 Jet mill, other than the brand plate. Same color and everything. The newer Jet manual (downloadable online) is a good resource if you need one and should apply to that mill.

When we moved mine, we used a steel cart with 4 caster wheels, and were able to move it through a doorway without disassembling anything. We did have to shuffle the table and head around to work it through, but it wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Even if the mill needs some work (and hopefully it doesn't)
    Quite opposite, Junkaddicts lathe project has been interesting thread with good progress so lets hope that the mill needs some work too!

I would definitely say it is worth $400. And be sure to thank the seller for his kindness by offering to take all the tooling and accessories with it.

Perhaps they will pay for the shipping? Nah, don't push your luck.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

That mill would be sitting in my shop by now. Right next to the BP. I hope he didn't pass on it. $400 mills in this size are hard to come by.