Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Opinion on mill for sale

Oh, my faux pas.

I very much agree with Norman. Recently I've assembled a B'port from pieces and am only dismantling where I need to (such as the fine feed rate selector because the grease was so stiff the lever would not move the gear on the shaft). The rest of the machine I over lubed it and wiped off the excess that was running down the various surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bain View Post
    I would not tear it down. Way easier to wipe all the sliding surfaces with oil, squirt onto screws etc and cycle it a bit. Keep wiping, squirting and cycling till it comes clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bain View Post
    I would not tear it down. Way easier to wipe all the sliding surfaces with oil, squirt onto screws etc and cycle it a bit. Keep wiping, squirting and cycling till it comes clean.
    I'm gonna tear it down. Even the grease in the back gear is like putty. The head is not all that hard to tear down. I made a fast & dirty wrench for the jam nut with the lathe, hacksaw, and files, and a slot tool to hold in the splines in the shaft out of aluminum(I detest hammer and punching nuts like this) I'm going to clean and re-grease the thing, and hopefully learn something in the process. This thing is an absolute rip off of a J head, only some of the screws are metric. I actually enjoy doing this kind of crap.

Last edited by junkaddict; 09-11-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Check the RPM on that motor. Should be 1750.

You are more ambitious than I am!

[QUOTE=junkaddict;1254836]I'm gonna tear it down........ I actually enjoy doing this kind of crap.