Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jessi Combs Accident

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I just can't believe they can find an area on earth flat enough to do this in the first place.
    Alkali salt flats are all over the Great Basin. The most famous for speed runs is Bonneville Salt Flats, which is just east of Wendover, NV/UT, but if you open a satellite view of the west, and center your view on central Nevada, then pull out on the map so you can see western UT, southern ID, southeastern OR, northeast CA and all of northern NV, you'll see how many alkali flat lake beds there are. You need to wait until the salt flats have really dried out (like August/September in most years). If you try to drive on them at the beginning of the summer, you will most likely sink in up to your axles, and won't be able to get back out.

I was aware of where this all took place and why, but it still amazes me at how flat they are --- there's still stuff like relentless winds and all the elements working at the dried lake bed all this time after the fact --- i would think there would be some deviations...

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Seen where Jessi Combs was killed trying to break a land speed record-

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...i-combs-death/

I have watched a few shows she was on over the years and saw some welding she had done at a Lincoln Electric show booth once.Seemed like she was the real deal.

Anybody heard any hints as to what might have happened?I can certainly see where going that fast on land would be quite an undertaking.
    I have watched her on TV and admired her. She was injured pretty bad awhile back also. Maybe broke her back or something. Very sad. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    What a sad tragedy. But I've always wondered why jet engines should be allowed as a form of propulsion for a land vehicle. It seems to me that the propulsion should be provided by the wheels and tires. This type of jet vehicle has metal wheels that probably have very little contact with the ground and would not be used for steering or braking. RIP, Jessi Combs.
    I believe the most recent speed record in a streamliner that is wheel (propulsion) driven is 503 mph and was by team Vesco.
    Yes very sad indeed, but accidents happen, I would rather be killed doing something like that than by a drunk driver while I was driving home from the store.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Land speed record? Why? Do it in an airplane

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    For the same reason we have unlimited class air races stocked with P-51's that have a quarter of their wings hacked off and a half-mil+ of work poured into the engine and airframe that could do a flawless imitation of a large antipersonnel munition at any moment.

Because we're Americans, and Americans leave the quotidian and banal existence of "good enough" to the Europeans who didn't have the guts to get on a boat and leave "good enough" as determined by their inbred, incestuous elites behind.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    For the same reason we have unlimited class air races stocked with P-51's that have a quarter of their wings hacked off and a half-mil+ of work poured into the engine and airframe that could do a flawless imitation of a large antipersonnel munition at any moment.

Because we're Americans, and Americans leave the quotidian and banal existence of "good enough" to the Europeans who didn't have the guts to get on a boat and leave "good enough" as determined by their inbred, incestuous elites behind.
    But was the reward worth it in her case?
    As for most dangerous thing to do, I nominate riding a motorcycle in Florida with all the grey hairs driving their cadillacs.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    That right there is some colossal display of ignorance. I sincerely hope that more of your countrymen feel shame from reading that than feel pride.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Never heard of her till she died. Like any "sport" its part of the "job" i guess.

Heros die every day and no one mentions a thing. Some yahoo that drove fast or can run fast, can catch a ball, or plays a part well in a movie and everyone is all a buzz...
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    That right there is some colossal display of ignorance. I sincerely hope that more of your countrymen feel shame from reading that than feel pride.
    Well, the royals in their past have inbred.
    And our ancestors did leave Europe for a new life, either to have religeous freedom, or wanted a fresh slate. For them, staying in Europe wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I was aware of where this all took place and why, but it still amazes me at how flat they are --- there's still stuff like relentless winds and all the elements working at the dried lake bed all this time after the fact --- i would think there would be some deviations...
    I'm sure the area that is going to be used for the test run is marked off and inspected for any imperfections. A small crack or ridge could mean disaster at those speeds.
    Maybe they even groom the strip before the test run.

JL............