Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jessi Combs Accident

Default OT: Jessi Combs Accident

Seen where Jessi Combs was killed trying to break a land speed record-

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...i-combs-death/

I have watched a few shows she was on over the years and saw some welding she had done at a Lincoln Electric show booth once.Seemed like she was the real deal.

Anybody heard any hints as to what might have happened?I can certainly see where going that fast on land would be quite an undertaking.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

A police official told the newspaper that "there was a fire involved," but did not elaborate.

https://tasteofcountry.com/jessi-com...-investigation

What a sad tragedy. But I've always wondered why jet engines should be allowed as a form of propulsion for a land vehicle. It seems to me that the propulsion should be provided by the wheels and tires. This type of jet vehicle has metal wheels that probably have very little contact with the ground and would not be used for steering or braking. RIP, Jessi Combs.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I've always wondered why jet engines should be allowed as a form of propulsion for a land vehicle. It seems to me that the propulsion should be provided by the wheels and tires.
    the thing about land speed racing is there are hundreds of classes. if jet cars are your thing there's classes for that. if 45 cubic inch pushrod motorcycles are your thing, there's classes for that (with different degrees of streamlining, etc). and so on. and every one of those classes has a current world record holder.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    What a sad tragedy. But I've always wondered why jet engines should be allowed as a form of propulsion for a land vehicle. It seems to me that the propulsion should be provided by the wheels and tires. This type of jet vehicle has metal wheels that probably have very little contact with the ground and would not be used for steering or braking. RIP, Jessi Combs.
    the places where speed record runs are attempted are only so large and the vehicles typically need to turn around and do the return trip too. If you're playing in the top levels, there's no way you can accelerate quickly enough to reach top speed in the distance available with an internal combustion engine and rubber tires. No form of tire would ever be able to withstand the forces involved. The wheels can be used for course corrections, but all braking is down by air brakes then a drag chute. The physics involved are pretty insane in all aspects of vehicle design. From the Bloodhound LSR wiki page:

"Wheels
    The four 36-inch (910 mm) diameter wheels would rotate at up to 10,200 rpm and be forged from an aluminium zinc alloy[31] to resist the 50000 g centrifugal forces.[32]"

A supercharged V8 was the fuel pump for the rocket, for goodness sake!

sad to hear another one gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    the places where speed record runs are attempted are only so large and the vehicles typically need to turn around and do the return trip too. If you're playing in the top levels, there's no way you can accelerate quickly enough to reach top speed in the distance available with an internal combustion engine and rubber tires. No form of tire would ever be able to withstand the forces involved. The wheels can be used for course corrections, but all braking is down by air brakes then a drag chute. The physics involved are pretty insane in all aspects of vehicle design. From the Bloodhound LSR wiki page:

"Wheels
    The four 36-inch (910 mm) diameter wheels would rotate at up to 10,200 rpm and be forged from an aluminium zinc alloy[31] to resist the 50000 g centrifugal forces.[32]"

A supercharged V8 was the fuel pump for the rocket, for goodness sake!

sad to hear another one gone.
    Yes,given the physics involved those wheels are pretty close to explosive failure at that loading.Most people have trouble with a tire blowing out at highway speeds,can you imagine 600+ MPH?

I just can't believe they can find an area on earth flat enough to do this in the first place.

It's a shame about the woman she did sound like a talent and was very into it, when lady luck runs out all you can hope for is that it was quick, what a cutie too....

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I just can't believe they can find an area on earth flat enough to do this in the first place.

It's a shame about the woman she did sound like a talent and was very into it, when lady luck runs out all you can hope for is that it was quick, what a cutie too....
    Unfortunately risk is the price of admission in such endeavors.Sometimes it's their name in the history books and sometimes it's on a tombstone.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Land speed record? Why? Do it in an airplane

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RB211; 09-01-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Why do we do anything? I built a 250mph-potential bike. Was a very satisfying endeavour. Would have been even more satisfying if it had actually managed that speed but the journey was as important as the destination.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942