Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jessi Combs Accident

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Land speed record? Why? Do it in an airplane

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Anybody can do that But just for argument,what if the goal is to fly at Mach 4,now what?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Land speed record? Why? Do it in an airplane

Because it's a challenge! Same reason I used to compete in bullseye pistol.

Why? Well that is the very question isn't it? There's other modes of transportation that lend themselves to faster speeds without the higher risk of death.
    Older I get, the less things I want to risk. I won't get inside of a C172 or any other single engine piston airplane. Hell, I won't get in the back of any piston powered airplane, I have to have controls in front of me. Don't trust beginner pilots.
    I get it, unfair for me to judge her actions, it's a shame she died for something that was nothing more than a speed record.

Why do anything? We're all going to die in the end anyway.

Hell im still high risk and almost 6 decades here lol just got back from setting two strava records just this morning :-)

it's a juggling act, milk the most of what you can get out of life without killing yourself or turning into a severe gimp,,,

the stakes of that game are too high for me but everyone has to find their path, keep in mind the best case scenario with playing it too safe is writing your name on some nursing home wall with your own poop and spelling it wrong,,, so give the gal a kudos for assuring she will never ever have to stoop that low --- perspective...

I feel the same way about bull riding. There is a 100% chance you will be crippled if you do it long enough. Top that off with most bull riders these days might not have any experience with livestock. They are just a bunch of macho guys doing really stupid stuff. No wonder they can't get health insurance if they ride bulls. It is OK if they choose to do it so long as it doesn't cost uninvolved people money. Here in Germany you have to have insurance if you fly handgliders or paragliders for rescue. No insurance card no flying.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    I feel the same way about bull riding. There is a 100% chance you will be crippled if you do it long enough. Top that off with most bull riders these days might not have any experience with livestock. They are just a bunch of macho guys doing really stupid stuff. No wonder they can't get health insurance if they ride bulls. It is OK if they choose to do it so long as it doesn't cost uninvolved people money. Here in Germany you have to have insurance if you fly handgliders or paragliders for rescue. No insurance card no flying.
    I feel the same way about bull riding.
    My father felt the same way and he was an authentic cowboy. He worked on ranches "busting broncs" and riding herd and competed in rodeos to earn money to homestead a ranch in the Big Muddy in the early 1900's but he never attempted to ride a bull; just too unpredictable and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I just can't believe they can find an area on earth flat enough to do this in the first place.
    salt flats. Any place where the surface is formed by sediment falling out of solution or water evaporating is as flat as you can get on a round ball Big benefit of salt flats is that the surface is pretty hard, these LSR cars are pretty heavy (latest British effort was 10t). Most famous salt flats is Bonneville salt flats in Utah, though there are others around the world.

A more recent LSR perhaps closer to your heart:
    184mph on a bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    It is OK if they choose to do it so long as it doesn't cost uninvolved people money.
    This. I don't get a lot of what people do, but I'm not suppose to - we're all different. So I've learned to respect that rather than judging and get bent out of shape because their thing doesn't make sense to me.....but adopting the live and let live attitude means also that extremely high risk activities and the resulting crashes shouldn't dip into the public coffers. Of course we could debate until the cows come home what high risk is, but I nominate speed record attempts and bull riding

Texting on a cell phone while driving is more dangerous than race car driving or bull riding, is a lot more stupid, and also poses much more danger to others. Yet a huge number of people do it, with predictable tragic consequences. Such activity also costs us billions of dollars in medical costs, property damage, and insurance rates. Comparable costs, injuries, and death, are incurred by the general public due to DWI, untreated mental (and physical) illness, smoking, guns, and crime (which is largely fueled by the failed "war on drugs"). Additionally, unnecessary wars, pollution, and global warming (climate change) pose a huge existential risk to mankind. So, individual risky behavior is really the least of what we should be concerned about.