Thread: Is it common for a lathe bed to be very hard to remove off its cabinet?

Default Is it common for a lathe bed to be very hard to remove off its cabinet?

I have stripped down my lathe and have unbolted it from the cabinet. She is stuck down real good.

Would they have used a glue or some type of resin under the feet of the lathe bed to help "bed" it into the cabinet surface?

Boxford MK1 VSL

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    I have stripped down my lathe and have unbolted it from the cabinet. She is stuck down real good.

Would they have used a glue or some type of resin under the feet of the lathe bed to help "bed" it into the cabinet surface?

Boxford MK1 VSL
    Maybe, if flood coolant was used or expected to be used, some people may run a sealant around the feet to keep coolant from getting to the cast iron.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

If coolant is used then sealant will be used to stopl it leaking into cabinets through bolt holes.
    Nev.

Tony Griffiths (www.lathes.co.uk) specifically advises against separating a Boxford bed from the cabinet stand because a sealant was used to prevent coolant leaking under the bed feet and into the cabinet. He says it sets hard and if you separate the two you will have to remove all the hardened sealant and then re-seal when you put it back together.

What did your bearings look like when you got them out?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Richard, I have not washed them off as yet. On first inspections they look okay, so fingers crossed they will be.

For what its worth, when I was renovating my Raglan lathe (similar size to yours) the Raglan handbook recommended washing the bearings out with white spirit, I did this in an old glass bowl, so any dirt fragments could be seen easily. I think I had to wash them 6 times before the white spirit stayed clean and there were no bits in the bottom of the bowl.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Is there a rubber gasket between the cabinet and machine?? I've seen a few lathes with them, like my Clausing for example. The rubber gasket can soften / rot and become soft and sticky over the years really stick to both parts.

JL.........

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
    Tony Griffiths (www.lathes.co.uk) specifically advises against separating a Boxford bed from the cabinet stand because a sealant was used to prevent coolant leaking under the bed feet and into the cabinet. He says it sets hard and if you separate the two you will have to remove all the hardened sealant and then re-seal when you put it back together.

What did your bearings look like when you got them out?
    This.
    Worth a full read for newbie Boxford owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard P Wilson View Post

.................................................. .......
    Yes, and the factory likely had everything accurately leveled as the sealing agent cured. Might be something an amateur could not easily duplicate.

I understand the need to seal the joints, but wouldn't this make levelling, (aligning the bed) impossible?

As for cleaning the bearings, I had to remove and clean a pair of needle roller bearings, and like Richard, I had to wash them repeatedly in clean solvent until no more old dirty grease particles came out.
    Last edited by old mart; 09-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.