Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Must we have Neighbors

Default OT: Must we have Neighbors

Some years ago a guy moved in across the road and one house to the right, he was always a little strange. He was on disability from an accident and it appeared that the pain killers fried his brain some, always acting outlandishly. Over the years he burned his house three times, the last one so bad that it was condemned and torn down. That made him sell the lot, good riddance. A contractor built a new house on the lot which he lived in for a year or so and then a few months ago it was sold to a young couple, nice enough quiet at least, and they have been there without problems until a week ago when they had a fire. Not to bad, maybe a stove burning???

Four fires in less then ten years, is it coincidence or is the lot cursed by an old Indian burial ground or viking grave site???
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Or is the ornery old bastard across the street starting the fires?
    Andy

Look out. There is Loose nut in the neighborhood

No, its a nut on the loose!

" Why it's the old pet semetary"!!

Maybe the old neighbor butned it down wanting
    to stay in the Neighborhood?.

Have you seen the new movie with
    Dennis Quaid? The Intruder?

My brother was normal in some ways and eccentric in others. For instance he and his wife (who is totally normal) would leave the house to go out to dinner and leave the house unlocked and the garage door open. He'd park his car with the windows down and leave the keys in the ignition. Don't bother to ask. I have no explanation. Another of his eccentricities was to cruise the neighborhood they lived in (nice neighborhood) on trash days and look for things people were throwing out which were still of use. One day he saw a some stuff being thrown out including one of those rechargeable "dust-buster' vacuums so he brought it home. They went out to dinner and as usual left the doors open and unlocked and when they came home half the house had burned down. The fire department isolated the cause to something in the back of the house in the kitchen area ... they had the dust buster recharging on the kitchen counter just below the curtains. It never occurred to him, I suppose, that if someone is throwing something away there might just be a good reason for it.

This world is doing its best to destroy you, and has been doing so since the day you were born. It behooves you to protect yourself in all ways and at all times and not be a participant in Providence's game plan. People who take unnecessary chances for no justifiable reason or benefit including weekend skydivers, bungee jumpers, wilderness hikers during inclement weather, builders of houses on flood plains, swimmers in shark infested waters etc etc etc receive no sympathy from me when things go wrong. In the case of my brother all I can say is to quote Forest Gump .... "Stupid is as stupid does."

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    My brother was normal in some ways and eccentric in others. For instance he and his wife (who is totally normal) would leave the house to go out to dinner and leave the house unlocked and the garage door open. He'd park his car with the windows down and leave the keys in the ignition. Don't bother to ask. I have no explanation. Another of his eccentricities was to cruise the neighborhood they lived in (nice neighborhood) on trash days and look for things people were throwing out which were still of use. One day he saw a some stuff being thrown out including one of those rechargeable "dust-buster' vacuums so he brought it home. They went out to dinner and as usual left the doors open and unlocked and when they came home half the house had burned down. The fire department isolated the cause to something in the back of the house in the kitchen area ... they had the dust buster recharging on the kitchen counter just below the curtains. It never occurred to him, I suppose, that if someone is throwing something away there might just be a good reason for it.

This world is doing its best to destroy you, and has been doing so since the day you were born. It behooves you to protect yourself in all ways and at all times and not be a participant in Providence's game plan. People who take unnecessary chances for no justifiable reason or benefit including weekend skydivers, bungee jumpers, wilderness hikers during inclement weather, builders of houses on flood plains, swimmers in shark infested waters etc etc etc receive no sympathy from me when things go wrong. In the case of my brother all I can say is to quote Forest Gump .... "Stupid is as stupid does."
    Don't forget land speed record attempts

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

And working with spinny machines of instant death.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    they had the dust buster recharging on the kitchen counter just below the curtains.
    Given the fairly unstable batteries so widely in use these days - lithium and li-poly, it surprises me that they don't warn more about fire hazzards while charging - especially with cheap junk devices. Though I suppose it doesn't seem to happen *that* often, at least with phones. I figure the big mfg's don't want people thinking about it too much.

People who take unnecessary chances for no justifiable reason or benefit including weekend skydivers, bungee jumpers, wilderness hikers during inclement weather, builders of houses on flood plains, swimmers in shark infested waters etc etc etc receive no sympathy from me when things go wrong.
    Better to die an active death, sucking the marrow from the bone of life, than stub your toe and get MRSA. Or after falling down the basement stairs while doing laundry.. As Jim Morrision said "I don't want to die in an automobile". While not at all the plan, some folks would rather bite it climbing a mountain, hiking a glacier in Alaska, surfing big waves, sailing the ocean, kayaking rapids, racing cars on a track, etc, vs. being a captive in many nursing homes.