Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Break those edges

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Some of the stuff that lives in our coolant tanks isn't probably far off what you're dealing with

You should see what's in some coolant tanks when the machinist(s) are doing things like dipping and spitting into the tank, or eating sunflower seeds and spitting the seed hulls into the coolant tank, etc. It's wretched stuff.

This sort of crap is why more and more CNC shops are buying coolant burners. They boil down their coolant and burn off the residue, so it won't be a hazmat disposal issue. Turns out it also gets rid of lots of wretched bio-hazards too.

The easiest way I've found to deburr machined parts is with a Scotchbrite wheel. It fast and easy and gives a nice finish. I use an 8 or 9 S wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    You should see what's in some coolant tanks when the machinist(s) are doing things like dipping and spitting into the tank, or eating sunflower seeds and spitting the seed hulls into the coolant tank, etc. It's wretched stuff.

This sort of crap is why more and more CNC shops are buying coolant burners. They boil down their coolant and burn off the residue, so it won't be a hazmat disposal issue. Turns out it also gets rid of lots of wretched bio-hazards too.
    We used to have one machine that was really bad but thankfully it's gone now. No matter how much you cleaned it the coolant always turned nasty. It would gum up over the weekend and when you turned it on Monday big gelatinous chunks of coolant gel would shoot out of the loc line like blowing snot out of your nose. We got another haas vf2 in that came from a farm shop (was literally in a barn), and that coolant smelled like manure for about 2 years. Cleaned, purged, cleaned, purged etc and now the coolant tank is fine. Machine is still a worn out boat anchor, but the coolant doesn't stink anymore lol.

For deburring on steel I usually use a 2" 80gr roloc wheel on a angle die grinder, and for aluminum I use a trim router with a bearing guided chamfer bit. I like the grinder for on manual machines because it it easy to sneak in there with out having to crank the table out of the way.

Those scotchbright wheels work great though. We've got one mounted on a bench grinder but it's at the opposite end of the shop to me so I don't use it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Some of the stuff that lives in our coolant tanks isn't probably far off what you're dealing with
    You got that right,we had a big Cleerman drill press come in once that was perched on top of a 30 gallon reservoir.It smelled like stale p*ss in the worst way.Multiple attempts at flushing did nothing for it.Finally I dumped 10 gallons of purple clean in it and left it to circulate over a weekend.That finally did the job,I can only imagine how it got that way
    I just need one more tool,just one!