Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at advice for either upgrading Sherline mill or adding DRO

Default Looking at advice for either upgrading Sherline mill or adding DRO

Like the title states, I'm trying to decide which way to go.

I have a Sherline 5400 mill. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't mind having a heavier mill that can take heavier cuts and stays trammed. I can only take light cuts and the column seems to get out of alignment a little too easy. A bigger table and Y axis travel would be greatly appreciated. I seem to keep running out of travel. Also, it's lacking a DRO. I would really like to have the DRO which would save me from making many bad cuts. I can't seem to count 40+ revolutions on the hand wheels! So, do I keep the Sherline and add a DRO (such as iGAGING mag scales) which is doable but not too easy because of its small size?

Or, do I just buy a new mill such as the Precision Matthews PM25-MV with an installed DRO? The downside to this is the cost and getting into my basement which is tricky because of a 90 degree turn halfway down the stairs. Also, my shop is getting pretty filled up with tools (mostly woodworking tools). Can this mill be easily broken down into smaller, lighter pieces and then reassembled?

I say go for the biggest machine you can afford.

I still use my Sherline mill, it's perfect for many things. It sounds like you are already pushing yours to it's limits.

I would also suggest looking at the DroPro's version of the PM mill, sold under the name of Weiss. I visited their shop and they were very informative regarding the features that set their mill apart. In any event it's good to have options.

If you are leaning towards the bigger machine I'd check out tooling costs in advance to avoid any surprises.

Good luck!

P.S., FWIW, I have the iGaging DROs on my Sherline lathe and they can be a bit sensitive to environmental noise & such. I think the DRO on the PM or Weiss would be a lot more reliable & stable.
    Last edited by C_M_H; 09-03-2019 at 05:34 PM.

doesn't make sense to put more money into a tool that you've outgrown. Sell it as is and use the money to buy a bigger bench mill or whatever pops up used in your area. Most of the small to mid-size bench mills can be broken down and moved downstairs with a furniture dolly or couple of guys, so don't let that hold you back.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_H View Post
    I say go for the biggest machine you can afford.

I still use my Sherline mill, it's perfect for many things. It sounds like you are already pushing yours to it's limits.

I would also suggest looking at the DroPro's version of the PM mill, sold under the name of Weiss. I visited their shop and they were very informative regarding the features that set their mill apart. In any event it's good to have options.

If you are leaning towards the bigger machine I'd check out tooling costs in advance to avoid any surprises.

Good luck!

P.S., FWIW, I have the iGaging DROs on my Sherline lathe and they can be a bit sensitive to environmental noise & such. I think the DRO on the PM or Weiss would be a lot more reliable & stable.
    Thanks, I've heard that the iGAGING DRO can be sensitive to noise.

its its either or, for sure it would a bigger machine. A DRO is a nice luxury - I finally added one and I do like it but there is almost nothing it can do that you can't do with dials. Capacity, HP, robustness otoh, are what defines the usefulness of a mill

The PM25 has many reported issues of horrible or even defective spindle bearings from the factory. People who convert them to CNC especially notice it. If not noisy, they get very hot. I have a Taig ballscrew mill, CNC, and the amount of money I poured into it, I could of bought a big mill needing a new controller, which is absolutely the way I would go the next time.
    With that said, I also have a manual Bridgeport. Get the biggest mill you can afford/fit in your workshop, no matter if it is CNC or manual, IF it is the only mill you have

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    The PM25 has many reported issues of horrible or even defective spindle bearings from the factory. People who convert them to CNC especially notice it. If not noisy, they get very hot.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Is it a serious design flaw?

Maybe, I should look at the LMS 4190 or 5550?

Quote Originally Posted by devils4ever View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that. Is it a serious design flaw?

Maybe, I should look at the LMS 4190 or 5550?
    I would also stay away from anything made by Sieg which is what LMS sells. You can dress up a pig, but still is a pig.
    Precision Mathews has top notch customer support, just look at the next size up he sells. I would suggest a Taiwan made machine as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I would also stay away from anything made by Sieg which is what LMS sells. You can dress up a pig, but still is a pig.
    Precision Mathews has top notch customer support, just look at the next size up he sells. I would suggest a Taiwan made machine as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Who sells Taiwan mills?

PM are coming out with a mid-size bench mill from Taiwan, PM728VT I think. 7x28 table, variable speed, made in Taiwan. Probably ~2-300lb, so not as heavy as a RF45 but not as light as the smaller LMS mills either. Probably a decent price premium over their Chinese mid size bench mill (PM727?).