Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at advice for either upgrading Sherline mill or adding DRO

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    PM are coming out with a mid-size bench mill from Taiwan, PM728VT I think. 7x28 table, variable speed, made in Taiwan. Probably ~2-300lb, so not as heavy as a RF45 but not as light as the smaller LMS mills either. Probably a decent price premium over their Chinese mid size bench mill (PM727?).
    That could be interesting and might be worth the wait. Any details on when or any more info?

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Looks great, but I think this model is a little too big, heavy, and costly for me.

So, I think the PM25-MV might be the one for me. I may need to sell some woodworking machinery to get this in!

As far as DROPROS, do they buy the mill from PM and add their own DRO? What is the advantage of buying from DROPROS vs PM? Is the DRO better?

I notice in the PM25 specs, it lists the Y travel at 7", but reduced for DRO. Does anyone know how much? The limited Y travel is what has bitten me with my Sherline many times.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about the head or bearings getting hot on this model.

How hard is it to partially disassemble (remove the table and column with head?) for transport down my stairs into my basement? Will that ruin my alignment?

I see there's an third party power lift for the head. Is the head that heavy that this is needed?

So you are going to buy a mill with bad spindle bearings?

fair enough, lots of people have the PM25 and are happy with it. It's a good mill for its size and money, though don't forget it is a Chinese machine and may have stuff that needs to be fixed or tweaked. No idea about the DROPROs version, but my guess is that they add the DRO themselves like Precision Matthews does. Travel reduction is probably 3/4 to 1" if the scale is mounted on the back of the table, as most are. It's basically the thickness of the scale and reader.

For the other Qs you'd probably get more and better answers from the PM forum on Hobby Machinist, quite a few people over there have the PM25.

Big tip for that size mill is to get some roughing (corncob) style end mills - they make a world of difference in material removal on small mills.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    So you are going to buy a mill with bad spindle bearings?
    The only mention I could find on this issue was in the other forum where the shooter123456 mentioned it. But, I think he is running at higher than normal RPMs for CNC. Is there any other info on the web regarding this issue?

I did see another reference to this issue in another CNC forum. Again, they were running the spindle speed above the max 2500 RPMs.

I'm not sure if there are any other options for a new mill of this size. I'm don't enough experience buying a used mill. I would love to have a used Bridgeport, but access/space doesn't allow it.