Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT hurricane Dorien.

Sorry, it was ringo who made the offensive comment. But your comment on Jim Stewart's post was disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Sorry, it was ringo who made the offensive comment. But your comment on Jim Stewart's post was disingenuous.
    No problem,my reply to Jim Stewart was in response to his air of elitism and a reminder that glass houses attract rocks.Mentioning Dunning-Kruger almost always guarantees the person who mentions it suffers from it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    I say it every year someone makes one of these posts.

Live in stupid places, win stupid prizes.

The same places get battered by hurricanes year after year. I don't want to hear any whining or crying when you lose your house for the 5th time.

I live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world . No natural disasters of any kind. The only disaster is the country is burning and violence is indescribable.We are going through a meltdown economically and foreigners shops are being burned. Its hard to describe the feeling of seeing social media clips of a person being set alight and the mob are filming it and laughing. I am a foreigner in this country .I was looking at Aruba ,also in the Caribbean as I have a dutch passport .But apparently I cant live there. So I have very few options as to where to move.You forget that maybe not everyone is as privileged as you are.

I know its an OT subject. I was just concerned for some of the members who may be in harms way.

Plunger, come and live in NZ.

I know people who moved to Florida when they retired, because they hated the cold and snow in MD, but that seems a poor excuse. They say that they mostly stay indoors in the A/C during the hot and humid weather (which is most of the year), and it becomes a crisis when power is out for a while. Similar situation in AZ, where many other retirees go. I like it where I am, although I think I'd also be happy in San Diego, if I could afford it.

Most problems are caused by economics, inequitable distribution of resources, greed, and desperation. Drug abuse, mental illness, and crime are symptoms of the root issues. It can be difficult for those of us who are greatly privileged to understand the plight of people who have been born in extreme poverty and political instability, and lack the resources to move elsewhere. I have heard that NZ is a nice place to live, but things would have to get really crazy here before I'd consider moving out of the US. I'd probably choose Canada first.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Wierdscience, please refrain from prohibited political comments, and making insults about people who constitute a clear majority of US citizens, most of whom are much better educated and rational than those with whom you apparently identify. I have so far resisted the urge nto report your posts, but my patience is wearing thin.
    Who are these people who constitute a clear majority? Are you talking about the ones defecating in the street, are they the clear majority? Or are they the better educated ones?