Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a Servo 150 power feed

Default Need help with a Servo 150 power feed

Has anyone ever had one of these apart? The PO really made a mess of this machine. Wires were melted, the power switch was missing, and 2 wires hang out of the switch mounting hole were wire nutted together. The rapid traverse button and pilot light were missing, and the power and limit switch cords were cut up and frayed. Despite all that it ran when I bought the mill. Since getting it home, I've taken it completely apart and replaced the bad wires, both external cords, and all the missing little parts, and to my surprise and delight, I plugged it in and it runs. BUT!! The pilot light does not light up. Since I bought a new lens and grommet for the light, I would like it to work. Also, it seems to be a bit noisy to me, so I tore it all apart again looking for bad bearings and a fuse that the parts list says is on the circuit board. I do not see a fuse on this board.
    However, the pilot lamp which is the pointy thing in this pic, is black, and looks to be burned out. I tested it in circuit and got a little reading on the 1K scale of my not too great multimeter.
    So my questions are, could this lamp also be this things fuse? Also, since the lamp is not included on the parts list, how can it be identified so I can replace it? What type lamp is it? Voltage? Neon or incandescent? Surely not an LED. I hope someone here can help me figure this thing out.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Looks like you've got an NE-2 pilot. Neon, if you can see inside you'll see two parallel rods that are the neon electrodes. Black inside means it's toast.

You'll see infinite resistance between the leads.

-js
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 09-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Thanks Jim, I'll see if I can find one locally and see what happens. May have t go to Digikey.

Lewis Grizzard

McMaster stocks a few

https://www.mcmaster.com/light-bulbs
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Radio Shaft used to have them - but that was long, long ago. Yeah, Digikey or Mouser...

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Dave, these guys may be some help: https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/ Jim

A thought, Dave - I said it "looks" like an NE-2. I know them well, used many in ancient and obsolete equipment. But you can figure out if that's true.

First, an NE-2 has wire leads. Looks like it must in that spot. So you can desolder the leads and pull it out.

Since you can't see inside, you can break the glass carefully to see what the innards are - if it's an NE-2 there will be two parallel rods, about 1/2" long, inside. If you find a filament then you have an incandescent lamp and need to do some research.

A reason to use a neon pilot was that they use line voltage AC (with current limiting resistor) - simple and cheap.

-js

Locks like a broken Bulb. on the Bottom the lead is loose.
    Hilmar

I've had many apart. It's a neon. Not required for operation.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    I've had many apart. It's a neon. Not required for operation.
    Do you mean you've had many neons apart or Servo 150's? If its the servo, I have some questions about the bearings.

Lewis Grizzard