Thread: Cutting Oil Identification Help Please.....

Default Cutting Oil Identification Help Please.....

I'm getting kind of tired of smoking up the shop when milling. I sometimes use WD40 or Rigid cutting oil, it works good but smokes too much and stinks.

When I was working at one of the local shops they used some cutting oil that didn't smoke much if at all, it had a real pleasant distinct smell when it got hot and it was clear. The machinists all had a small cup of the stuff sitting on on the table with a small brush. Anyone know what this stuff might be??

JL................

What color?
    mark costello-Low speed steel

It was clear.

JL....

I've never seen cutting oil that didn't smoke,could it have been turbine oil??
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Tap magic for Aluminum is clear, but it smells downright nasty in my opinion and doesn't seem to do anything. Regular tap magic sort of works, but it's still sort of thin BS IMO.

@OP, if you don't want smoke, my advice is: dry cut with carbide, install an exhaust fan that pulls air away from you, spray mist (noga mini-cool), flood coolant, or cut very slow. Those are in order of best to worst.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    I've never seen cutting oil that didn't smoke,could it have been turbine oil??
    The couple cans of military 1010 stuff I have is yellow in color. It has been exposed to air for some years though.

Why not contact them and ask what it was ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post

When I was working at one of the local shops they used some cutting oil that didn't smoke much if at all, it had a real pleasant distinct smell when it got hot and it was clear. The machinists all had a small cup of the stuff sitting on on the table with a small brush. Anyone know what this stuff might be??

JL................
    Maybe it was Relion? That's what I've been using for a few years on steel and titanium. It's clear (although slightly yellow) and doesn't smoke much. I haven't noticed a nice odor when cutting with it (I don't smell it at all) but otherwise it sounds like what you describe. It seems to work pretty well for me.

I was buying it from Enco but recently ran out and need to find another good source for it.

Edit - I don't like MSC very much, but this is the stuff I'm talking about: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00268813

You might want to try Anchorlube. It works pretty good for a lot of things...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Why not contact them and ask what it was ?
    I'm going to have to see if I can find someone that works there that I know and have them ask.
    I've been out of there for about 11 years.

JL.....