Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OT, Auto: Bubbles When Battery Is Charging

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    This was not a high end charger, just a middle of the road model. The light said it was charging.

After two overnight sessions of charging, it had not picked up even a fractional charge. It would not turn the engine over even a single rotation. Not a partial charge. Just nothing.

No longer my problem. And I doubt that the salvage people who get it will worry very much either. Just melt it down and make new ones.

The difference is that one is incapable of charging the battery while the smart charger simply refuses to do so.
    End result is the same....new battery.

Speaking of batteries.
    Early this spring I installed a battery into my summer car, a battery that has been in pretty constant use at least 8-10 months of the year since new. I thought to myself at the time that it must be at least 8 years old, took a look at the date on it the other day and found out it will be 13 next month. It was a lower end battery when new and the only special treatment it gets is a smart charger session for a day once a month in the winter.
    Like I always say, better lucky than good.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

About eight years ago I drove to Harrisburg in my 1999 Saturn for "Woofstock". I parked but then found a better place, so I moved the car. After a few hours of enjoying (most of) the event with my dog Muttley, we returned to the car, and it would not start. Even all the gauges and lights were off. I checked the battery for loose connections and such, to no avail. I got someone to give me a hot-shot, and the car started and idled perfectly. As I prepared to drive off, putting my foot on the brake, the engine immediately died. I got a tow to a nearby auto shop, fortunately still open (this was a Sunday afternoon), and he confirmed that the battery was indeed totally dead. He replaced the battery for only about $100 total, and it lasted about 8 years until I junked the car last November. No idea what the failure mechanism was, but it must have been something like a broken internal connection between cells or terminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHqZXo8IGE (Woofstock 2010)

While the car was being repaired, there was a major accident very close by:

(Harrisburg Accident)

The bad battery was an Interstate and, as I said above, it lasted for the warranty period of five years. That may not sound great, but in the past I have gone through a lot of Sears batteries. They had a good warranty, but they NEVER lasted for the full warranty period. Basically I was paying by the month. But it was a PITA to keep going back to Sears for a new battery every 18 months or two years.

I seem to have paid by the month for the Interstate too, but at least it lasted for the five year period. I await seeing how long the new one lasts. Perhaps I should put a reminder in my calendar on it's expiration date.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Hmmmm. Still on the original battery for my Tacoma, bought it eight and a half years ago. Starter still spins energetically, not a hint of battery problems. Am I on borrowed time?

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    Hmmmm. Still on the original battery for my Tacoma, bought it eight and a half years ago. Starter still spins energetically, not a hint of battery problems. Am I on borrowed time?

-js
    I'd say so.
    I"ve found that anything after 6 or 7 years is a bonus. It's why I mentioned the battery above as an exception, not the rule, and as in Paul's case I too have found that you don't always get what you pay for in regards to high end batteries. My experience has been that it's much like buying a lotto ticket irregardless of how much you spend.
    Although my almost 13 year old battery is still cranking, I don't think I'd want to be all by myself in the middle of nowhere in mins 30 weather relying on it to get me started. I'm not that lucky.

I quit reading this thread when someone suggested "whacking the battery with a toaster.", whatever that means.

Listen, just go to Harbor Freight and get this, https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...zer-66892.html This thing is awesome. I took a battery to Autozone to have it tested and they said it was good. My battery charger is supposed to test the battery too, and it indicated that the battery was good, but the battery kept discharging and I was starting to think that I had problem with the vehicle, a 2018 Cadillac XTS. I bought this gadget and it said the battery was indeed bad, and it was. I have tested many batteries with it and it never fails to give a proper indication of the battery's condition.

Gil

My battery use is abnormal, since my Hybrid has a small 12 volt battery for powering up the electronics as well as for powering the brakes, steering and lights in the event of a failure of the main electrical system. The main electrical system is a 270 volt battery pack that feeds an inverter to provide the 12 volts needed for the radio, ECU, etc.

Having said that... the original battery lasted at least 10 years. I replaced it in 2012 prophylactically because I figured I would need at least one more battery before I wore out the car, so why wait till it failed. Now the abnormal part. The 12 volt battery has a solar trickle charger permanently attached to it. That 2 watt charger is just enough to take care of all the parasitic drains like the radio memory and keyless entry system and to also counter the self discharge of the battery. The current battery is now 7 years old and I don't anticipate replacing it for the life of the car.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
    I quit reading this thread when someone suggested "whacking the battery with a toaster.", whatever that means.

Gil

Hmmmmm, was he English/British by any chance? --------- "toaster" could mean any number of things over there - and not to get obscene or anything but so could "whacking"

Quote Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post

Listen, just go to Harbor Freight and get this, https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...zer-66892.html This thing is awesome. I took a battery to Autozone to have it tested and they said it was good. My battery charger is supposed to test the battery too, and it indicated that the battery was good, but the battery kept discharging and I was starting to think that I had problem with the vehicle, a 2018 Cadillac XTS. I bought this gadget and it said the battery was indeed bad, and it was. I have tested many batteries with it and it never fails to give a proper indication of the battery's condition.

Gil
    I believe this was in reference to a type of load tester that places a large amperage load on the battery and in so doing it emits a large amount of heat, hence them term toaster.

I'm sure you have had good luck with you battery analyzer but keep in mind leaving the headlights on for a while and then starting the car is also a good indicator of how healthy the battery really is. The only downside to doing so now is that a lot of newer cars won't allow you to do so and will automatically turn off any power being used when it shouldn't be used.

One way to load bank a battery is to do what welding repair shops do: After the welding machine is rebuilt, they stick a pair of leads in a barrel of water while its running. Keep adding salt to lower the resistance and watch the amps go up on the meter. See where the amps max out @ a given voltage.

Best batteries I ever had were the old (1980) Interstate Marine batteries. I now use the Optima yellow top battery, seems to be in the same league. Real expensive tho.