Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: OT, Auto: Bubbles When Battery Is Charging

My Dad taught me that when charging car batteries -
    Fine bubbles across all cells is good, uneven generation of bubbles across cells either in size or quantity indicates cell degeneration and a new battery in the near future.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Wonder why U-boats only recharged their batteries whilst running on the surface?

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

The Diesel engines used to charge the battery's don't run well under water. In the latter part of the war they used snorkels so that they could charge submerged.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Jon View Post
    The Diesel engines used to charge the battery's don't run well under water. In the latter part of the war they used snorkels so that they could charge submerged.

Jon
    It also annoys the crew when the diesel starts and sucks all the air out of the hull.

RWO

Just for closure: the truck went to my mechanic yesterday. The battery was bad. It was not in warranty: 5 year warranty and I bought it 5 years ago. They must put timers in them.

New battery. He also replaced my mirror switches which I wanted to do for a long time.

Works great! Last a long time! (I hope.)

I still wonder about how a battery could allow it's previous charge to start the engine around 7 or 8 times, but not take a charge from my charger. And yes, the charger does work because I needed to charge the battery in my Volvo so we could use that car. It went from completely dead to working just fine with a long charge. So, what goes bad in a battery to prevent it from charging, but it will still work to start the vehicle? That's a new one on me.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I still wonder about how a battery could allow it's previous charge to start the engine around 7 or 8 times, but not take a charge from my charger. And yes, the charger does work because I needed to charge the battery in my Volvo so we could use that car. It went from completely dead to working just fine with a long charge. So, what goes bad in a battery to prevent it from charging, but it will still work to start the vehicle? That's a new one on me.
    A shorted cell will reduce the battery voltage since it's essentially equivalent to a wire at that point. Since the cell is shorted, it does not matter how hard you try to charge it, it will never get above 12 volts. It will overcharge the remaining 5 cells. I starter will turn even if the voltage is between 8 and 12 volts, but it will turn slower and take more amps (I think I recall that part correctly). Slower cranking will often mean that you have to crank a little longer than normal. Fewer usable cells means that it will store less energy so it will only start a hand full of times.

The mechanism for shorting out cells was addressed earlier.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Smart chargers often won't charge a battery with too low voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    That's why they're called smart chargers.
    They know better.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

This was not a high end charger, just a middle of the road model. The light said it was charging.

After two overnight sessions of charging, it had not picked up even a fractional charge. It would not turn the engine over even a single rotation. Not a partial charge. Just nothing.

No longer my problem. And I doubt that the salvage people who get it will worry very much either. Just melt it down and make new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    A shorted cell will reduce the battery voltage since it's essentially equivalent to a wire at that point.
    I have been told that cell shorts between plates can sometimes be resolved by dropping the battery to dislodge the short. Can't recall whether that has ever worked for me.