Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question about hydraulic impact drivers

Default A question about hydraulic impact drivers

When ever possible I try to use a cordless impact driver for all drilling. These are an absolute must when drilling large holes in wood especially when you are on a ladder and reaching out. If possible I would like to never use an electric drill again. I have jammed them up and wrap the cord around me. I have also used cordless drillís and have had my hand pinned in a position where I could not release the trigger. In other words electric drills are too dangerous for me. I would like to use the impact drivers for drilling Metal but I find that the bits chip quite easily when using impacts. However there is a new type of impact driver on the market which is supposedly smoother and quieter. I donít care about the quietness but I am wondering if the smoother operation would stop the metal cutting bits from chipping. So my question is does anyone use these new hydraulic impact drivers for drilling metal. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drills exist for a reason. Drivers are for driving not drilling.

If electric drills are 'too dangerous' for you, then you're either not using them correctly, or shouldn't be using power tools at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun God View Post

If electric drills are 'too dangerous' for you, then you're either not using them correctly, or shouldn't be using power tools at all.
    I strongly disagree. I am 78 years old and have been using electric drills for 70 years. I have spent my entire life building and working on various metal and wood projects. I have worked as a tool and die maker for 58 years. Far one period In my career I worked at McDonnell Douglas aircraft ,building air frame alignment fixtures .these were bigger than a semi truck. For months at a time I climbed around these fixtures with a CORDED electric drill ,drilling and locating tooling pads. Cordless electric drills were just coming on the market. We wanted to try them but the naysayers said they will never work. 20 years later no one would dream of climbing around these fixtures carrying an electric cord.I think that I have drilled as many holes with an electric drill as any person on this board. I am trying to find a better way. To say that the only way to drill a hole is with an electric drill is not something that I agree with. There is always a better way. The only reason that this board even exists is because people are trying to find a better way of doing things If you would ever drill an inch and a quarter hole in Wood using and impact driver ,you would never use an electric drill again ,end of story. Edwin dirnbeck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you thought about using the "screwdriving" clutched mode for drilling? It will typically mean a slower rpm, though that's not necessarily a bad thing drilling metal, but it will also save your hand/ wrist if the bit jams. Can't recall if I've ever tried it, but might be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun God View Post

This spring I had to take out a cherry tree that was 16" across at the ground. I needed to drill about 20 one inch holes to pour stump rot into. I have a set of the new Rigid 20V impact driver and drill/driver. Bought a set of the Irwin bits you show. Using the drill/driver and a extention, I started drilling 12" deep holes. Even with the clutch set on maximun, I was having problems drilling that deep into green root wood. Went to the impact driver, and when it hit a tuff spot, it would almost break my wrist. It needed a clutch. Got the job done, but boy, did my wrist smart. Of course, at age 76, my wrists are not as strong as they used to be.

Locally the utility company linemen use Hitachi or Makita 1/2" drive cordless impacts,outfitted with the Milwaukee 1/2 square to 7/16 hex shank drill adapters-

https://www.jharlen.com/p-13385-milw...SABEgKFbfD_BwE

I've seen them run 1-1/2 ship augers drilling utility poles with them one handed without any snags.I don't know about the Hitachi impact,but those Makita ones are rated for something like 620 ft/lbs of break away torque.A lot of power in a small package.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

HMT and some others market impact specific taps and drills. Taps perform pretty well in videos if you compare to hand-tapping 1" thread in steel...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWBLfkvV8Q

https://holemaker-technology.com/col...ive-drill-bits

As to what comes OP's real question..no experience but hydraulic impact drive should be somewhat smoother.

Thing is, its the 'nature' of the abrupt impact that makes them so effective. Smoothing that out would to some degree defeat the purpose.

With the increasing popularity of impact drivers being used in applications that their unique properties lend them selves to many suppliers are now producing impact friendly tooling.

Just one listed below as an example from Dewalt, but I'm seeing more and more different types and styles of drill bits each day as this segment of the market matures.

DEWALT Titanium Drill Bit Set, 10-Piece Impact Ready

I have no experience with the hydraulic drivers and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems when they first came out everybody was focused on them as the next big thing but I don't see the major tool suppliers focusing marketing effort their way anymore.
    Anyone else notice this?
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

That's pretty cool Matt,I checked out there site they build Magdrills that look very similar to the German Karnash Magdrills been drooling over those for a while lol!