Thread: Lift chairs/O.T.

Default Lift chairs/O.T.

I have a question for you guys. I had polio seventy years ago and my legs don't work like they used to. My wife bpought a new lift chair, it wouldn't work for me, the tilting seat cushion came within a iota of dumping me on the floor. When the fire dept. showed up to get me up out of it, they told me it's common to be called and finding the person setting in a heap on the floor in front of the chair.

My question is, does anyone make a lift chair where the cushion lifts straight up instead of tilting? Sorta like a barber chair. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Time View Post
    I have a question for you guys
    My question is, does anyone make a lift chair where the cushion lifts straight up instead of tilting? Sorta like a barber chair. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I am sure there are companies making any type of lift you want correct? JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

My father had the same issues due to old knee and ankle fractures.We tried several different types of chairs,but the best we found was a chair similar to an Adirondack chair,but it was taller and not raked back as much.With a thin cushion it was comfortable and with the wide arm rests being solid with no padding he was able to slide forward and use his arms to help get up.The height of the seat relative to the height of the arms is critical as is the height of the seat relative to the floor.
    I believe someone could do well in business building a chair where the seat height,arm height and angle were all adjustable,so to be customized to fit the user.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

I think you should give the lift chair you have a chance. I think it has a lot to do with technique. Have someone help you get up and
    down about a million times, and I think you will get the hang of it. You have to be ready to stand up "right now" when you push the button.
    John Titor, when are you.

Could use a seat-belt for safety until you are used to it.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

Type this into your computer search engine "VERTICAL LIFT CHAIR FOR DISABLED"--there are many chairs that lift vertically.
    Brian Rupnow

What model lift chair do you have? Pictures?

I considered getting one for when I was recuperating from hip surgery, but I was able to manage with the recliner I had, which was really too low for me to get out of. I added casters which raised it to a comfortable height and also allowed me to move it around. Had to be careful getting into it, though.

The lift chair I tried seemed to raise slowly enough that I felt in control, and IIRC it could be stopped and reversed as needed. If you have good arm strength, a pull-up bar (trapeze) might be helpful. You might even be able to use something like a tree or pole climber's harness with an overhead winch.

https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/bed-trapeze-613/c/

Here are some other devices that can help you get out of a chair, bed, couch, or other places where you might sit or lie down:

https://www.handicappedequipment.org...sistance-aids/

I assume this is what you are having trouble with:

It might help to have a cane or a walker positioned in front of the chair for support as you are being lifted into a standing position. I may need something like these eventually, after having four orthopedic surgeries in the last 6 years. My balance is getting worse and I can just barely get up off the floor without having something to steady myself with. Good luck!

[edit] Vertical lifts seem to be only for wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-07-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: vertical lift