Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

Just in case someone thought that 'ten thousandths' was 10 x 0.001, = 0.01"
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    I just looked at the Hemingway site at the MK3 grinder info.
    This came from there: Ľ A new Differential Screw arrangement provides a feed into the wheel graduated in ten thousanths of an inch [0.0001" - 2.5Ám], allowing infintessimal amounts of material to be removed.

Ten thousandths of an inch is .0001? Who knew?

Brian
    Sure, when taken out of context, you can make it sound dumb. When left intact ([0.0001" - 2.5Ám]) it just provides an equivalent value for
    individuals not used to working in inches. While I understand the relationship between mm and inches, I can't visualize a dimension in mm until
    I've converted it into inches.

Instead of "graduated in ten thousanths of an inch", it should have read "graduated in one ten thousanths of an inch". Then the meaning would have been perfectly clear.

Right ???

Right!
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

So, has anybody here made one of grinders? It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining. And I say that as someone who owned a commercial shop with CNC mills and lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Instead of "graduated in ten thousanths of an inch", it should have read "graduated in one ten thousanths of an inch". Then the meaning would have been perfectly clear.

Right ???
    Both are correct and say exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining.
    I'm genuinely curious as to what's going to be required and how. I intend on documenting it thoroughly.

I built the Mk2 a few years back. I modded the vertical pillar for more adjustability.

The whole thing took over a year, and then it's open ended, as you can spend months more adding support for different collet types, different cutter threads, air bearings...

One of the images my site at http://www.rohart.org.uk/engweb/myquorn.html shows the mod to the pillar.

It's good as a precision tool, but it needs a lot of set-up. It's not so much the angles you do need to set up, it's the checking that all the other adjustments are zeroed, or not about to upset your task.

If Hemingway releases an upgrade kit I might just be interested.

I regard making the Quorn as having passed some kind of initiation test. I have entered the realm of the crazy !
    Richard

As a person who has written, reviewed, and edited a lot of technical papers... I'd be very tempted to say

"graduated in tenths of a thousanth of an inch".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    As a person who has written, reviewed, and edited a lot of technical papers... I'd be very tempted to say

"graduated in tenths of a thousanth of an inch".
    Gotcha!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton