Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    So, has anybody here made one of grinders? It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining. And I say that as someone who owned a commercial shop with CNC mills and lathes.
    I've also built one. There's a Yahoo group devoted to the Quorn and some work-alikes. The files and photos sections have a lot of pictures of different builds and various mods or enhancements.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    I've also built one.

TGTool or for anyone else who built one...

How much use does it get? Forgive my ignorance but is Quorn that much better than a Deckel or clone single lip grinder? Or are they essentially of the same usefulness in a home shop.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    I believe Mcgyver made one, to his usual high end standard, and documented and photographed it.
    Or was that a UPT?
    Or both?
    thanks for the compliment. I haven't made a Quorn, but did make a UPT so that's probably what you are thinking of. i like the Quorn, almost a rite of passage type project, but I end up with two commercial T&CGs (one of which I did a ground up scraping job on) so haven't the need.

Richard, beautiful work on yours, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    Yeah, it's always best to make real sure what people are talking about. I've had customers say a "couple mills" as in a clearance like that should be totally clear to me. Most time I find they mean a couple thousandths (.001").
    I agree. It seems I have heard the term a "couple of Mils" also when they were thinking .001" How did that come about in the machinist world? And this was years ago. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by enginuity View Post
    TGTool or for anyone else who built one...

How much use does it get? Forgive my ignorance but is Quorn that much better than a Deckel or clone single lip grinder? Or are they essentially of the same usefulness in a home shop.
    It gets only occasional use for a variety of reasons. One, I don't have enough room in the shop so if I want to use it I have to do some shifting around. Two, it tends to get used if I have a special need like an accurately ground lathe tool (acme thread tool, for instance.) Three, it gets used if I get inspired by something like drill bit geometry and how to do large reduced shank drills. After exploring the Joerg Hugel's write up about regular conic and four flute grinds, I made up an additional holder for large diameter drills so I've sharpened my two-bit large drills so they have even lips and a good finish. (Original foreign mfg looked like they'd done them all on a snag grinder). I've sharpened the ends of endmills when required but haven't done any spiral flute grinding. Chaddock says it can be done, but my experience even with an air fixture in a previous life was that flute grinding was a little dicey so I'm putting that off pending a more serious air bearing holder. I also explored using a spiral fixture for spot drills but not yet to my satisfaction.
    Last edited by TGTool; 09-11-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spell correction for Joerg
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

My kit arrived!
    The construction notes are short, but informative for their length. The user notes is even shorter, but denser. The drawings are A3 sized and are entirely digitally authored.
    Here are the included castings. At first glance, I don't think any are specific to the Mk3:

For those who are curious, it seems the idea for the use of ER chucks on lathe tooling is to hold a square tool blank in a round collet.

Sweet.
    I think the motor/belt guard alloy casting looks different to the MK 2?
    May i be so rude and ask what Hemingways charged you for P&P for that considerable weight to the USA from the UK?
    Thanx,
    TG.
    Last edited by thaiguzzi; 09-14-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Just about every Model Engineering show in the UK will have at least one pristine Quorn with all the accessories, in a fitted wooden case.
    Its a challenge to make, and anyone who does so can be justifiably proud of his/her achievement.
    How much actual use they get is questionable, having a reputation for being tricky to set up.
    If your desire is to have a practical tool and cutter grinder, then I'd say that for the same money you could buy one ready to go, either American or Asian, and be sharpening cutters about 3 years sooner than if you built the Quorn.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Well, I have a surface grinder. Is there an accessory I can buy that mounts to the magnetic chuck that offers the same exact capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Well, I have a surface grinder. Is there an accessory I can buy that mounts to the magnetic chuck that offers the same exact capabilities?
    Don't think there is a single accessory, you would need a few. The fixture to sharpen the ends of endmills as shown in another thread, maybe a air spindle to sharpen endmill flutes, a harrig fixture(s) and maybe a few more. You could copy a T&G cutter design and just use your spindle I suppose, that wouldn't be a bad approach, maybe similar to the quorn. Asking for the same exact capabilites is where is gets very tricky!

I bought a seneca falls T&G grinder at a local auction earlier in the year for $50, it had a the air spindle and full set of collets for that spindle which is what caught my eye. Unfortunately that is the only fixturing that was with it. I have given thought to making some fixturing for it so it could be used for more. I also have a surface grinder which mostly collects dust, rarely used but sure is nice when you need it.