Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Curb Find of the Week - 15,000 W Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Or at least ashamed of being wasteful.
    Granted most likely the case --- but "most likely" does not cut it if it's just some red-neck who dragged it out front for his buddy "bubba" to pick up later, and maybe said redneck believes all thieves should be immediately shot no questions asked... and oh yeah of course said redneck owns a shotgun...

First off - it's just plain not right without verifying - it just ain't unless it's obviously heaped in with the trash or has a sign on it...

I might well be a case of new tenants in the house and the previous owner left it behind and the new folks have no idea of what to do with it or any one of a dozen other situations. Given it was set out on the curb and a two hour window of it sitting there and being handled up into the truck it's a pretty fair indicator that it was up for grabs. Mind you I think I would have knocked on the door of the house just to check...

But all being well I'd say you deserves a big old wet one...... "YOU SUCK!"....

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I might well be a case of new tenants in the house and the previous owner left it behind and the new folks have no idea of what to do with it or any one of a dozen other situations. Given it was set out on the curb and a two hour window of it sitting there and being handled up into the truck it's a pretty fair indicator that it was up for grabs. Mind you I think I would have knocked on the door of the house just to check...

But all being well I'd say you deserves a big old wet one...... "YOU SUCK!"....
    On the curb on a non garbage day because they want it going to someone who needs it or can fix it. They don't want it going to the landfill.
    Not in the same category as a car parked at the curb with the driver's window down and keys in the ignition.

The generator has a 99.9% chance of being aluminum wound. Check that it is OK. They can't be rewound replace only. Also the V twin B&S love to bend push rods, rocker arms and valves. Check the valve train. Some also have plastic cam gears. The problem is probably the carb. Check on Amazon. A replacement carb from China is likely cheaper than the rebuild kit.

We didn't get our usual bulk pickup last Tuesday due to hurricane Dorian. Therefore, bulk trash is accumulating at the curb. The generator was sitting on top of a bunch of tree branches, clearly being toss out.

After charging the battery and connecting it up and checking the oil (needed to have some be added), I was going to see if it would fire up using starting fluid alone, so I removed the air cleaner. On the first crank, about half a cup of gasoline came roaring out of the intake. I mopped it all up and cranked again and again, about 2 ounces of more gasoline came gushing out. Not wanting to crater a piston with hydrolock, I removed both spark plugs. I cranked some more, with more gasoline pouring from everywhere. My conclusion is that the float needle is stuck in the open condition, not metering fuel due to the unit being stored with gas in the carb for years. This is as far as I have gone so far. I'll remove and CLEAN the carb tomorrow, then try to repeat my original test. If I'm lucky, I still have two good pistons.

More later...

Congratsiosio,,, it sounds like a good legit score, I do not think you hurt the pistons at all - if anything you bent a rod, but copious amounts of fuel is actually easier on the internals --- better to hydro-lock with a ton of fuel in the chamber rather than just enough to get the piston almost to TDC,,, that's where the cranks leverage is at it's extreme and can really have it's way with things...

It's important to remember that some folks can be pretty wasteful before labeling them as a thief. I scored a very nice Husqvarna riding mower a couple of years ago because the previous owner thought it was shot. Much like the genny, it had a gravity fed carb with a petcock to shut off the fuel. We all know how religious everyone is about turning them off when shutting down.

Same thing as the OP's experience but they did get it running a few times with by now a crankcase full of gas and oil. Needless to say it ran like crap and spewed out gas and oil from the breather, all over the machine and into the carb like a cat puking out a hairball in order to save itself from gagging.

An oil change and a good clean up and it ran like new. Previous owner wanted nothing to do with it cause it looked like a rotten sack of potatoes, so yeah I stole it off of him for twenty five bucks. We were both happy.

A friend of mine used to operate a disposal company. You would not believe the stuff offered to him over the years, I don't even know how folks expected him to get some of those items in the disposal truck. We're talking large outboard motors, fishing boats, garden tractors, all manner of yard equipment, fishing tackle, high end rods and reels, the list goes on and on. The good stuff went to his son who did quite well actually refurbishing the merchandise and selling it as a hobby/sideline.

Never a shortage though of quality merchandise only because some folks are just to lazy to deal with it and obviously have too much money.
    I've picked up more than my fair share during the last year or two of yard and garden power equipment for free. I'm stocked up big time and couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't take another piece even if I had the room, which I don't.
    Well maybe if I saw a creampuff piece like the OP found I might make an exception.

If it's got an engine on it and it doesn't run, expect it to be out on the curb, most folks simply turf it because it's over their heads and they just want to put it behind themselves and move forward.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Im still kicking myself in the butt --- about 3 months ago im coming back from a bike ride and just a couple blocks away from my house is a very nice fridge sitting next to the curb with a sigh on it that says "FREE works good" so i take a look - it's a fridge only no ice box but the things in great shape,,, i got to thinking "hmm what could i use this for?" really drawing a blank as there was no reason for it and i certainly don't want it sitting somewhere just eating power so past on it, plus i would have had to go get a friends truck,,, nahhh

now im thinking - duh, so just re-sell it for a 100 bucks people are always looking for just a fridge to keep in their garage and stuff, plus these are the units very popular with kids, gut out all the shelves and install a keg and walla,,, you got yerself a party...

yabbut, someone could have dragged that fridge out there to have a block party and someone put a "Free" sign on it as a prank and you'd be STEALING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    yabbut, someone could have dragged that fridge out there to have a block party and someone put a "Free" sign on it as a prank and you'd be STEALING!!!
    Gimmie a fuquing break

Edit; this is actually a very good example - to what i stated earlier,,, if i was riding my bike and seen this fridge out where it was with the doors open just sitting there i just would have said to myself WTF? and ridden bye,,, the thought of "scoring it" with just that amount of info never even would have entered my mind, and if it somehow clicked that that's what it was indeed "possibly" set out there for then I would have absolutely 100% verified that with the people who lived there,,, and had I somehow got severely drunk or impaired enough to think somehow it would be alright to do without consulting then I can tell you right now (being fairly sober) that it would not surprise me at all to get shot in the back doing it....

sorry to tell you this - but with the limited info in the OP it's actually old mart that has his act together on this matter, and the OP's in the clear with all he said after as it's quite obvious what it was doing out there,,, hell - people move all the time - people also get evicted and have their stuff set out where ? right at the curb,,,,,, don't be so GDamnd greedy that you bypass the unwritten rules of society, try to at least think with a hint of foresight once in awhile ... Clumsy Bastard...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 09-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.