Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Curb Find of the Week - 15,000 W Generator

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    When someone raises a thread with this content, it shows what a nasty third world country you live in, you lot should be ashamed to admit you are such a thieving lot.
    Calm down,people here throw perfectly good stuff out on the curb all the time.They know someone will take it,and that saves them having to pay to have it hauled off.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I help at the twp clean up day every year and every year I bring home good stuff saved from the dumpsters. new Lodge frying pan, Stanley Bostich framing nailer, antique chair and foot stool. I honestly believe people with throw anything away simply because they don't want to deal with it any other way.

I live part time in a modestly upscale neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale where we have monthly bulk trash pickup.
    Early on those days there is a steady stream of "Pickers" sorting thru the trash looking for usable items.
    No one asks and no one cares. No one is arrested. I am guilty of looking myself occasionally.
    Some great stuff out there sometimes.
    Seastar
    Last edited by Seastar; 09-11-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Seastar View Post
    I live part time in a modestly upscale neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale where we have monthly bulk trash pickup.
    Early on those days there is a steady stream of "Pickers" sorting thru the trash looking for usable items.
    No one asks and no one cares. No one is arrested. I am guilty of looking myself occasionally.
    Some great stuff out there sometimes.
    Seastar
    Totally acceptable behavior - if it's legal to do so that is and if people respect it, trouble being is like with every good thing people abuse it - start sorting through peoples garbage to find the "goodies" and leave the rest on the lawn for the home owner or the trash pickup to deal with --- then it's "no mo soup fo u"

Carroll County used to have a "Swap Shop" where people could drop off usable items and take things they could use. But it was often abused, such as when the local scrap metal place went there and took a very nice brass bed just for the scrap value. They probably also took large aluminum items such as ladders to melt down. But they shut it down probably 10 years ago now, probably because some bratty kid cut his widdle finger on something and his helicopter parents sued.

When I take stuff to the local junk/recycling facility, I always see lots of perfectly good things headed for the shredder or landfill, but no scavenging is allowed. I can understand the reasoning, though. I would probably go there twice a day and "rescue" truckfulls of stuff.
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-11-2019 at 01:51 PM.

I cracked open the carb today. Here's what I saw:

I think that it is confirmed that the original owner used it for one hurricane, then just stuck it in the corner of his garage without prepping it for long term storage. I stuck the carb in some Berryman carb cleaner to soak for a couple of hours and it cleaned up nice. I've got it all reassembled, but rain stopped me from proceeding further. Tomorrow, I'm going to replace the oil and try a simple starting test with starter fluid.

Interesting carb design - i see an oval o-ring down at the base for the main jets, then i see an solenoid attached to the carb base - is this is what they are using to cut power for various reasons (low oil or no oil pressure for example)

most other systems just cut the spark but that can induce flooding as the engine coasts to a stop still sucking in fuel so this could actually be an improvement if the idle circuit is siphoned off the pre-main jet connection, just thinkin out-loud...

If the carb works after the dip treatment,great!If not I have had good luck disassembling them and boiling them out in a pot of water on the stove.There are some tiny little passages in those that Berryman's,although a good product,may not loosen up and clear if clogged.The boil followed by a blowgun will get them clean most times,good luck.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

on the little carbs i don't bother with going through all kinds of trouble - alls you need is a can of carb clean with the little red jet tube connected to the top spray valve,,, I have little carbs cleaned and back running in as long as it takes to take them apart and put back together (almost) all you have to do is verify your spray is getting through all the circuitry and then hit it with 150psi of compressed air - repeat if you think there was a restriction... assemble and run that sow...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Interesting carb design - i see an oval o-ring down at the base for the main jets, then i see an solenoid attached to the carb base - is this is what they are using to cut power for various reasons (low oil or no oil pressure for example)

most other systems just cut the spark but that can induce flooding as the engine coasts to a stop still sucking in fuel so this could actually be an improvement if the idle circuit is siphoned off the pre-main jet connection, just thinkin out-loud...
    That sol. is there to cut fuel to the jets when the ign. key is turned off.
    They want to cut the fuel off when the key is turned off just for the reason you mention, stop flooding as the engine coasts down.
    You've probably heard these small engines back fire when they are turned off?
    That sol. stops the back fire, also the o-ring you mention isolates the jets from the fuel in the bowl so the sol. can do its job.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!