Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a new grinding room in my shop!

Default Finally, a new grinding room in my shop!

It’s been busy around here lately making parts for my buddy’s company on top of the summer rush at the day job. Recently, it finally slowed down enough to move forward with the “master plan.”

There had been enough cash influx into the ol’ shop budget lately that a few purchases were made without complaint from my other half. 1) A Shars 5C Deckel tool-grinder clone with 5 extra wheel adaptors and a CBN wheel to go along with the supplied diamond wheel & 2 pink AO wheels. 2) A set of metric 5C collets to go along with the imperial set I’ve had on hand for a while and I also a found a 5C-ER16 combination collet for odd-size drills. 3) I needed a couple metric R8 collets on a previous job so what the heck, I got a set of those too. 4) A belt sander would make a great addition to the shop so a cheap one followed me home from H/F.

All these new toys needed a decent place to live so changes had to be made in the shop. The 8 ˝’ x 6’ utility room in the back corner of my garage workshop was perfect but it was crammed full of 40 years worth of model airplane stuff. No, I didn’t throw it out; I moved it all into a spare bedroom as a “staging” point for future action. SWMBO made me promise it has to go somewhere soon. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Slick huh?

I added to the existing shelves, painted the existing pegboards & added some conduit & a few outlets. A friend gave me a 30-drawer cabinet and some laminated maple to make a little workbench. Some stuff I had on hand was used to add shelves to the cabinet & it worked out decent. Since it has most of my metric stuff in it (reamers, collets, bolts & nuts, etc.) along with most of my abrasive tools, I’ll call it the “Metric & Grinding Department.” Here’s the view looking through the door.

Here’s why I had to turn off the LED lights for the pictures, these things are awesome:

Looking to the right:

Right rear corner:

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Left rear corner:

Looking left:

Cabinet:

Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Cabinet Shelves:

What I think a is GREAT buy @ H/F; a $20 2.5” all-turning, all-swiveling do-all cutie-pie of a vise:

Now the hard part, learning to use the new grinder! I’m gonna be watching Stefan’s videos a bit closer now!
    Milton

that's a whole lot of grinding capability right there! If it's a small room with no airflow might be worth getting a respirator to avoid breathing in grinding dust. I know that the little garage annex in our last place where I had my grinder ended up with a decent coating of grit and dust.

That looks like a great set-up. I also have a utility room off my garage/shop and planned to put the grinding stuff in it to keep it away from the other machines. But that's on the back burner until I finish some other projects first.

I would suggest some ventilation and an exhaust fan in there.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

There's a respirator rated for toxic dust hanging on the pegboard ready for use when needed. Nope, for sure don't want to be breathing the stuff! I also have recently modified the shop vac I'll be using for dust collection by mounting an auto air filter on the exhaust to catch any dust that makes it past the internal filters. Seems to work pretty well. I have plans to install a bathroom type vent fan in the ceiling when I get time.

Milton

Looks good,but it's entirely to neat and organized,you should at least turn the boxes around so you can't read the labels.I mean,just reaching up and getting the one you want first time takes all the fun out of life.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Excellent dirt cheap air filter - tape a furnace filter to the inlet side of a box fan. For grinding dust you'll want to use a pleated fine filter. I use clear packing tape. If you have some fiber matting for a pre-filter, all the better.

that made me laugh. Dickeybird could invite us for a GrindFest (er, that didn't come out right..) where we bring all our dull and chipped endmills, drills and chainsaws to get touched up. That should give it a lived in look pretty quickly!

I don't have a grinding room but I do have all my grinders and welding table, where there's a lot of grinding going on, over in one corner as far from the machinery as I can get.

It's a hellishly dirty area of the shop. So while I love all the grinders you show in the pictures I see a lot of places which will soon be covered in a very dirty layer of old grinding wheel abrasive and metal dust.

One way around this certainty would be some drape like front covers attached to the ceiling or walls to cover the front of the shelves and the door and breaker toggles of the wall panels. Ideally made from something like welding curtain plastic.

You WILL be wearing a face respirator of some sort while in there. Or you'll be snorting up black boogers for a good time after sessions that involve any sort of medium to heavy stock removal. And your clothing and hair will be covered in the stuff during any sort of heavier duty jobs. About the only "clean work" in there will be on the T&C machine... which I'd also make a cover for and keep it covered when not in use so it's not dusted over with a thick coating from using the other grinders for heavy shaping.

Other than these suggestions to guard against the spray of metal and grinding wheel particles onto everything in range it's a great looking job and a great way to isolate one of the major sources of crud from the rest of the shop.