Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I seperate the lathe bed from the cabinet?

Default How do I seperate the lathe bed from the cabinet?

I have stripped all the parts off the old girl. Now I really would like to split the lathe bed from the cabinet.

Also it looks like it has a joint on the leg risers. But there are no bolts holding it together that i can see.

I know its been glued or cemented or something. Man its stuck good.

It's the joint on the risers that you're trying to split? Maybe too obvious, but if you unbolt the risers from the cabinet and turn the whole lot upside down, might there be bolts inside the riser?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Tony Griffiths warns against splitting a Boxford bed from its cabinet because when originally assembled the factory used a sealant to prevent coolant from leaking into the cabinet. With time this sets really hard and is difficult to get apart, but if you do, then you've got to get the remains of a rock like sealant off, and re-seal on assembly.

Those risers look like they are bolted on from underneath.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
    .......... might there be bolts inside the riser?
    I'd say you got it.
    Nev.

Yeah fellas, obviously I have the four bolts undone. I just popped them back in as I was going to lift up the lathe bed with a strap under the lathe bed. But I did not need to do it because I was able to just push and drag the cabinet around.

Tony Griffiths warns against splitting a Boxford bed from its cabinet because when originally assembled the factory used a sealant to prevent coolant from leaking into the cabinet. With time this sets really hard and is difficult to get apart, but if you do, then you've got to get the remains of a rock like sealant off, and re-seal on assembly.

Yes Richard, you mentioned this to me once before. I am a welder/fabricator and I have had to grind through some nasty stuff in the past, I am sure this won't stop me.

I'll have to take another photo so you can see the inside of the top down view of the lathe bed.

So far I have just been reefing down on a length of timber to try to pop it off the cabinet. I might need to put a jack underneath the bed and the cabinet.......????

If its proving so difficult, do you really really need to separate them?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Well yeah it's a bit like that. It will be so much easier to properly wash and paint if can separate it thought.