Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most used tool in the shop

Coffee cup.

Digital calipers, 6" ruler.

Sharpie.

No doubt a tie between my 4x6 bandsaw, and my homebuilt 1x42" belt sander. I have been de-burring all parts cut from stock, since I got fed up with seeing my own blood.

Quote Originally Posted by rohart View Post

And, tlfamm, you need four cordless drills. One for the pilot drill, one for the clearance drill, one with a countersink and one to drive the screws. I do admit I only have three, but one is rt-angled for accessing between supports.
    35 years ago the Boston Globe had a feature section on a small-scale builder of traditional wooden canoes, in New Hampshire, I think. On a rack above his workbench was an array of 8 or 10 corded drills, each with a drill-bit chucked and ready to go. Was the motivation sore hands from constant chucking/unchucking? Might have been - or maybe it was the distraction from task.

I was just going to say, my main design computer. I spend more time working with it than any other machine in the shop. I could argue any of the CNC mills in the machine room, but without my desktop computer those would be idle much of the time.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

#1 for me is my suprabeam Q1 penlight that lives in my coverall pocket,#2 is my Doall Vertical Saw,
    #3 Greenerd 3E with Shipwheel & Socket Adapters.

Drills mostly. Cordless and my fav drill press a Clausing 15" mod'd with 3/4 HP DC motor and Dart speed control. Love it.
    Found a crank table elevator for it on feebay. Saves the back. RichD

Angle grinder. Actually a few of them, all with different wheels and brushes.

This thread reminds me I really need to get my printer tuned up and working again. I want (NEED) to make a giant workbench organizer, and want printed parts to be strongly featured.

I would have to say my drawing board, drafting machine, and coffee cup. I literally went "back to the drawing board" in about 2010. At work I had several versions on Auto Cad throughout the years, and was allowd to keep the last one when I retired. As time went on the hardware changed, and the version I had was no longer compatible. Rather than spend $1,000.00 or more a year leasing a newer version I decided to go back to the old school manual drafting.

Back in the 1980's our company switched from manual drafting boards to AutoCAD. For several years they were giving manual drafting equipment to the local technical college. By the 1990's even the technical college had no interest in the equipment. It started piling up in store rooms waiting to be hauled off to the recycling companies. At that point I purchased a Mayline 72" table complete with a Mutoh machine, light and return desk, a lifetime supply of drafting paper, mechanical pens, drafting tools, and supplies for a whole $50.00. It all sat in the corner of my shop until the AutoCAD had reached the end of it's life. Now before the start of any fabrication or repair project I go to the drawing board and make prints of any parts needed. It may seem like a waste of time to some, but it has saved my butt on a number of occasions. It's a whole lot easier to follow a dimensioned print than some scribbling on a napkin or sheet of paper.

Upright porta-band saw table and 1x60" belt sander,both shop built.They sit next to each other,the saw cuts bolts,keystock,all thread etc,etc and the sander smooths out the cuts and polishes things up nice.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Calipers, HF 4x6 band saw, my homemade 2x72 belt sander, knee mill, lathe