Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most used tool in the shop

Default Most used tool in the shop

I couldn't find the old thread, but I would like to update my choice to the 3D printer. Just has unlimited uses for my R/C airplane/Drone hobby. Not only is it the most used, it solves a thousand different problems with its use.

Probably not what RB was intending, but:

The most useful tool in my shop is actually the broken-off shaft of an air-chisel: 5/8" hex stock, with a 1/2" circular reduced section (1-1/2" long) to fit (originally) the airgun chuck, overall length of the shaft about 7", chisel-head long gone. I use it as a drift punch, rivet-set, and not infrequently as a "framing nail-set" for driving heavy-caliber nails in odd/tricky places - always struck manually with a framing hammer.

It came into my hands free, with the purchase of my home, 4 decades ago.

Most used tool in my machine shop is my 6" chinese digi-cals, most used tool in my mechanics shop is my 3/8" drive snap-off swivel head ratchet...

Well, working that angle, guess I'd have to say my laptop and Fusion 360, since that is where I must go first before using the 3d printer. In my machine shop would be my hand, always spraying my machines with oil and wiping light rust away. The A/C is not enough, I need to buy a big dehumidifier. The A/C gets it down to around 50-55% humidity.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Digital calipers, angle grinder or cordless drill depending on category.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Digital calipers, angle grinder or cordless drill depending on category.
    Can't argue with any of those. I resisted until the end purchasing a cordless drill. Finally my son got me one for Christmas - I couldn't believe the torque it (Milwaukee 1/2") developed. The following Christmas he gave me a 3/8" Milwaukee - a little bit of overkill but now I have one for each hand.

In my shop I use my fixturing table the most. Second would be my belt grinder and bandsaw.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

It would be a toss up between belt grinder, drill press ( of which I have several), or small lathe. On thinking though maybe the belt grinder. Seems like I am always de-burring, shaping, cleaning or sharpening something and it may be to do with the other tools. And then there is the dial calipers. I have a cheap one I have out all the time and a Starrett that comes out when I want the "good stuff".

I think I use my fine 8" file most - almost every job, after milling, turning, drilling, welding or sawing, and I need to clean up edges.

And, tlfamm, you need four cordless drills. One for the pilot drill, one for the clearance drill, one with a countersink and one to drive the screws. I do admit I only have three, but one is rt-angled for accessing between supports.
    Richard

Cordless drill gets #2, port-a-band saw gets #1. I have corded drills, drill press and mill I can drill with so the cordless is just convenient. I have a hacksaw, but I HATE a hacksaw, so my port-a-band is my most appreciated.