Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most used tool in the shop

In order on the machines, the lathe (10x36 Sheldon) the mill (9x36 Bridgeport clone) and the bandsaw (16" DoAll.)

The machines should be no surprise, but I was amazed at how fast the bandsaw became practically indispensable. With a good blade, I can lop off a hunk of 1-1/2" steel in a few minutes, saving me literally hours of milling time.

On the "second op" machines, the 2x72" belt grinder has similarly become indispensable. With an array of belts, I've used for everything from woodworking, to shaping and deburring steel, to burnishing, to sharpening TIG tungstens. I need better dust control (in the summer I just roll it outside) but it's very, very handy.

Going along with that is the Baldor buffer with a 3M deburring wheel. Those wheels last forever and I still go through a couple a year. I used to use the Baldor bench grinder a great deal, but after acquiring the belt grinder, I've nearly stopped using it altogether.

For hand tools, a corded Milwaukee 1/2" drill, a Milwaukee Portaband, and one of three 4" angle grinders (each with a different wheel) are almost always out and plugged in for something.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

6" rule
    Mit 6" vernier caliper
    pen light (mini torch).

Manual screwdrivers, digital calipers.

Air compressor. Used for many things, but usually for putting air in the 10 vehicles here.

Mike

Bench vise. The only tool I use more often than my big burly bench vise is my own two hands. A close second would be my trusty 4x6 horizontal and vertical mode bandsaw.

1 My brain to determine what tools to use on the job.
    2 My memory to try and remember where I last left the tool at

The broom and the shopvac.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Doc Nickel;1254670]In order on the machines, the lathe (10x36 Sheldon) the mill (9x36 Bridgeport clone) and the bandsaw (16" DoAll.)

The machines should be no surprise, but I was amazed at how fast the bandsaw became practically indispensable. With a good blade, I can lop off a hunk of 1-1/2" steel in a few minutes, saving me literally hours of milling time.

Doc I was also amazed how much I use my Doall 16" as well!!!