Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Least used machines

I have a bajillion odd, mechanic task-specific tools I inherited from my dad, that are in a wide variety of places that my dad knew, which I don't. They are likely to either never be used, or perhaps used once if I happen to find a given tool prior to having a use for it.

Stick welder-brand new never used. Got it from my Dad where it sat in his garage in the box for 30 yrs. I think I've had it 10 yrs now. I'm on my second MIG welder, upgraded to a Miller 252. Can't get rid of it - just in case- and because it was his.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Satan is your middle name...
    You don't know the half of it --- right now we are just 167 signatures away from a government by-back program for the lowly shaper, we expect to complete our goal next month, it falls under the "available resource act" and will require all shapers to be melted down and then put into something useful (even door stops fit this description so it's pretty wide open) and/or ground up and put back into the earth where it came from, in a way it sickens me because while normally an independent iv had to "reach across the isle" in finding help to get this accomplished, i do not want this topic to get political but ----- something had to be done...

(see Satan face below - just imagine horns)

----

I don't see why so many are down on shapers. I don't use mine (12" Vernon) too often but I do use it. I have done key ways and a internal PTO spline for a tractor. Try one of those on a mill and then tell me a shaper isn't useful.

Mine would be my Air Filtration unit that hangs from the ceiling. Haven't used it in 10 years.

I have a nice, precision optical center for my mill. Never used it....................but, I can envision when I might need it.

Seldom used:

- Right angle head for mill
    - BP Shaper/slotter head
    - 2'x3'x6" granite surface plate
    - Volstro rotary milling head

Over the years I grabbed every tool for machining/measuring that I could get cheaply. Later I worried about finding uses for them. 40 years later my shop is full and seldom used.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeL46; 09-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.

For me it would be some accessories more than the main machines. So my rotary table. But even then I find I dig it out and use it about once every couple of years when it's just the right tool for the job.

I made a frame to use as a hydraulic press back in around 1985 when I needed to press some shafts out of some bandsaw wheels. I think I used it one more time. But that's it. The frame is too nice to just toss and the day may come when I do actually need it. And since it doesn't take up much room and I'm using it to store some folding patio chairs it stays.

Use of my shaper has been spotty over the 15 or 18 years I've had it. But a couple of years back I spiffied it up with new wiring and switch and I've used it with increasing frequency over the past couple of years. Is it faster or more efficient? No.... But it's a hobby and I do enjoy using it for what it is really good at doing. Recently I used it to make some hold down blocks for a vise with no mounting ears. It was a different way of working and I enjoy that side of it. And best of all the finish from a nice shear cutting tool is so nice that nothing further is/was needed for a stunning appearance. We don't often get THAT from a vertical mill!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    You don't know the half of it --- right now we are just 167 signatures away from a government by-back program for the lowly shaper, we expect to complete our goal next month, it falls under the "available resource act" and will require all shapers to be melted down and then put into something useful (even door stops fit this description so it's pretty wide open) and/or ground up and put back into the earth where it came from, in a way it sickens me because while normally an independent iv had to "reach across the isle" in finding help to get this accomplished, i do not want this topic to get political but ----- something had to be done...

----
    You're a monster!

Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Satan is your middle name...
    Chai Krap!

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

----
    I think you need Shaper Therapy. It's a form of aversion therapy especially tailored to those who have either a fear or loathing of Shapers. It's a multi step process starting with looking at pictures of the machines. This first step usually takes a couple weeks before the patient can view the pictures without sweating, shaking, or vomiting. Once the pictures can be viewed without negative effects you move to the second step.

The second step involves actually stepping into a room where an idle shaper is stored. The lights aren't on, the machine isn't powered up or running, just sitting silently in the darkened room. After a few "viewing sessions" the patient is encouraged to walk near the machine and eventually touch it. This step usually takes another couple weeks.

Step three is to actually see a machine working in it's normal home setting. The patient doesn't touch the machine at this stage, but rather marvels at the fact that it does operate, and can make useful products. This step is best performed in a fully functional shop where the patient can actually see the machinists interact with the machine without fear. Once this situation can be witnessed without adverse reaction the patient can move to the final stage of therapy.

In stage four or the final therapy stage the patient is encouraged to attempt to setup a work piece in the machine and actually hit the power switch to start the machine. This is by far the most complex and intense part of the therapy, and usually takes the most time to complete. A complete stage four therapy session involves many hours of interaction without adverse effects. The complete process usually takes two to three years to complete.

If the patient should be so fortunate as to complete stage four they are handsomely rewarded with Journeyman Machinist's certificate. This certificate will allow them to regularly attend MA sessions (Machinists Anonymous) without fear or embarrassment. Just keep in mind the patient will never be cured of this awful disease, but will be in remission. It may require regular attendance at MA meetings to remain in a state of remission.