Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where's Jerry?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Jerry hasn't posted in over 6 weeks (since 07-25-2019). I'm sure there's many of us who are wondering what's up with his sudden absence.
    Maybe he's in timeout?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I met Jerry a few years back at a convention and he seemed like a nice guy to me. I like his willingness to offer advice, trying to help people......He is an engineer, I think, and sometimes engineers can be a bit stubborn and not likely to change their opinion on how to do something

I have finally realized that my life is too short, and my stomach acid is too high, to get all involved with anyone, even when I know I'm in the right. Often internet fights are just poor communication, and sometimes its just the complete inability to admit anything. (mental issues) I suspect that most of us are subject matter experts at several related topics, myself included. But I've learned to just keep on scrolling and take a lot of Pepto-Bismol.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    But I've learned to just keep on scrolling and take a lot of Pepto-Bismol.
    I do that except for the P-B. I lost so much blood through a stomach ulcer, I was having heart attacks. I now have a patched-up stomach, seven pints or someone else's blood and a new aortic valve. I skip over all conflicts now.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I do that except for the P-B. I lost so much blood through a stomach ulcer, I was having heart attacks. I now have a patched-up stomach, seven pints or someone else's blood and a new aortic valve. I skip over all conflicts now.
    you too? I mean there's lots of stuff I agree with here, and lots of stuff I disagree with, just based on my own logic and experience.

Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin, keep them mouses scrollin... RAWHIDE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin, keep them mouses scrollin... RAWHIDE !!!

lol you just reduced my blood pressure with that one - at least for a second ----------- NEXT!!! lol

I hope Jerry's blood pressure is okay. It must have gone up when someone challenged him. Too bad, he had a lot to offer, and I wish him the best over in PM land.

I've been here since the beginning, and I have really enjoyed the interaction between characters. I really admired Sir John's responses to Evan's posts. I learned to appreciate British humor from John, and his practical solutions for everyday things in the shop.

There seems to be a big difference between the working machinist and his opinions, and the person who sits in the armchair and spends the day on the internet trying to have the last word. AS for myself, I spend lots of time in the shop, but rarely give advice on things I know little about. It's a good policy, and I wish more people would do the same

Tim, your statement: <but rarely give advice on things I know little about.> . I like that one and do the same but I go the step further and rarely give advice on things I am an expert on since there are just way too many here and on other BBs that give "advice" on things they know nothing about and the poor person that asks a question has no basis for making decision as to what is right. So I usually just skip any thread that mentions those subjects.
    ...lew...

Lew, I wish we were closer, If you ever come to western Oregon, let me know you're invited for a shop visit.

Thanks, TC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I hope Jerry's blood pressure is okay. It must have gone up when someone challenged him. Too bad, he had a lot to offer, and I wish him the best over in PM land.

I've been here since the beginning, and I have really enjoyed the interaction between characters. I really admired Sir John's responses to Evan's posts. I learned to appreciate British humor from John, and his practical solutions for everyday things in the shop.

There seems to be a big difference between the working machinist and his opinions, and the person who sits in the armchair and spends the day on the internet trying to have the last word. AS for myself, I spend lots of time in the shop, but rarely give advice on things I know little about. It's a good policy, and I wish more people would do the same
    It's funny, I've spent my life in the shop on the job, but rarely offer anything. I come here to relax because of all the other know-it-all types at work. And yet at work, I'm usually the only one that is actually walking what I talk. I have to, it's my job to keep the mouth shut and keep the machines running. I actually repair/rebuild them for a living, which means knowing how to do a bit of machining, welding, and everything else too.