Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Mill

yup, this will show you why

both bearings are covered to prevent swarf falling on them, but a couple of squirts of oil and some use flushes out any crap that makes it in there.

the bearings on both sides make a great deal of difference, noticeable when the lead screw was bearing against the cartridge bearing vs. the thrust washer. that'll be part of the reason you find it harder going in one direction than the other, if the direction lines up.

getting harder to move the table at one or both extremes is either a poorly cut dovetail or a misalignment between the table and the leadscrew. My "Y" axis is harder to move at both extremes, so probably the dovetail. It does look like it's been gnawed at by a dovetail beaver.

This is where the force is when the saddle is being moved back or away from the operator, I called it being pushed back. The load is between the end of the screw and the back of the mount.
    I'm going to make a bronze washer to put in between there and see if that helps any.

Anyway....... for that screw I would have to put a thrust bearing on either side of the mount. Not a problem since there is plenty of thickness to work with.

The table screw has a hand wheel on each end so one thrust bearing per side will work there.

I'm sure the uneven and rough cut of the dovetails is the reason for the binding. Going to have to mill those parallel.

JL.................

I measured the width of the dovetail on the base. It tapers from front to back about .005. I'm sure that accounts for the binding when the saddle is brought towards the operator.

I haven't checked the mating part. I'm going to have to clean them up on the mill. I hope they are 60 deg. and not some bastardized angle.

JL..........

The other reason the saddle is binding at the front when reversed is the gibb is sliding back and forth about 1/16". After I took this thing apart I wondered how it even stayed in place with the edge of a screw contacting it at a 60 degree angle. It should really be pinned in place.

My KO Lee radial grinding fixture cross slide gibbs are pinned and the gibb screws are pointed. I may point the ones for this table. the point will bite in and keep the gibb from sliding.

JL...............

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Sometimes just using the hardened steel thrust washers is enough to make the action slick by removing drag.McMaster has them down to 1/32" thick.

That does look like one of the better quality X/Y vises.Are the hand wheels cast iron too or Aluminum?
    It probably looks like it's one of the better made ones because it's older. Yes the hand wheels are cast iron.

JL.....