Thread: OT: heros of your youth

Default OT: heros of your youth

After Dad passed away in 1967, when I had just turned 14, there were a few men who stepped up to help me out. After all these years, all have passed. They were all great guys, and I miss them. Dad was my first hero. WWII B-24 pilot, shot down on his 18th mission, survived POW camp, came home and married mom. He was a good carpenter, and I went to the jobs with him whenever I could. I wanted to be just like him, and I just didn't learn enough before he passed.

There were some men who were important to me after Dad was gone. Old man Wilson who lived close to me was great. Retired farmer. Could fix anything. A couple high school teachers. Marvin Flowerdew, and Dean Hoback. Marv was a great mechanics teacher. Gave me my inspiration to become a truck mechanic for over 40 years. Dean was a retired air force electronics instructor. What I learned from him was important to me when truck Electrical systems became complex in the late '80s. Both of these men told all of their students the same thing: A days work for a days pay. Show up early, stay late. Smile and work hard. It's what I did. It worked for me. I taught my daughter the same thing, she's doing great.

So, what did you learn from your favorite people that shaped your life?

After my Dad died in 1976 I was in little league and prolly 11. My biggest Hero was my Sister, maybe 11mos diff. She came to my rescue more times than not.

Oh, Tim. I lived in PO for several months in 1974. Orchards back then. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

In hindsight it was for sure my Dad,,, the ultimate family man, his work ethic was second to none and he could grow anything and always had a huge garden,,, had a great passion for life, treated everyone with respect, and was grateful for everything,

as a kid growing up I did not appreciate him as much as i should have but you know kids "buck the system" and see how much you can get away with, after moving out and getting on my own I found out just why my Dad did allot of things the way he did, lucky for me he got to live a fairly long life and we all got to tell and show him how much he meant to us...

I did have some great teachers in school - my power mechanics teacher was awesome, I learned so much in his classes power mechanics 1 & 2, and then he created PM --- 3 an advanced class and there were only about 5 of us kids in it, day one he signaled me up to his desk and i thought i was in trouble, i walk up there and he quietly says "you know why i created this class don't you?" I say "not exactly --- why?" he says "you" I really can't remember what or if I said anything after that cuz my head was spinning lol but I do remember returning to my desk with an immense sense of pride and the feeling like hell or high water I was going to prove myself and not let him down...

Good teachers are priceless... and now-a-days with the family unit disintegrating they are more important than ever...